Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we first got Penny everything was fine but lately she's getting nippy. I've been bitten no blood or broken skin thank god. If I'm brushing her she gets nippy. If I walk amd my shoe laces are moving in any direction she has to charge at them and bite. Today I had to smack her a few times. I Know I know DON'T HIT The Dog. I'm sorry if I offend anyone by hitting a small puppy. I smacked her on her rump. Is it something I'm doing? Was if my fault that the reason she is getting nippy is because of the rough housing I do with her like Tug o war? Is there a way to correct this nippiness and growling? Several minutes ago I yelled NO to her and she seemed to understand what it meant. She stopped what she was doing which was jumping up to get out of where she is and went back into her crate. I'm frustrated and angry. She starts obedience training at PETCO tomorrow. Will this behavior go away as she leanrs her commands? Please Please Help me so that I can turn my puppy into a good dog.:(:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all, your dog is a good dog and what you have is a dominance issues not an aggression issue. And secondly, let me be the first to tell you dont hit your dog, if will not benefit you in any way and will only build mistrust and a fear towards hands.

and to answer your question "Is it something I'm doing?" YES

Was if my fault that the reason she is getting nippy is because of the rough housing I do with her like Tug o war?
Yes and no. it is perfectly fine to rough house with a dog and play dominance oriented games like Tug-O-War as long as there are clear boundaries that are consistently (and fairly) enforced. which i believe is the route of your problem.

Before we discuss a solution i would like discuss a few other key things i noticed in your post.
"I'm frustrated and angry."​
it is impossible to solve a problem like this (or most behavioral problems) when you are in that mind frame. your dog can sense this and you are intern amplifying the behavior your are trying to fix.

Second is the bit about the PETCO Dog Training, while this can do worlds for your relationship with the dog, simple obedience commands like sit and stay will not solve this problem.

one thing you will (should) learn from that class is that in order for your dog to learn and effectively execture a command you have to be extremely consistent in your rewards and punshiment and clear in your intentions so the dog can succeed.

To Fix your problem you must:
1) Set boundaries and rules and consistently enforce them, this will show the puppy who is in charge.
For Example, the dog is not to be in a certain room (kitchen during dinner,)
or the dog is not allowed to touch a toy when it is in your hand

2) Stay calm, your frustration only further intensifies the problem

3) introduce the brush as a good experience, toss the brush on the floor, when the dog approaches it and gives it a sniff rewards her with a treat. slowly work up to brushing her always keeping very positive and progress at a pace she is comfortable with.

i could go on all night, but to keep it plain and simple your dog is assuming the position of leader and exerting dominant behavior on you. you need to step up, REINFORCE the behavior you are looking for and DISCOURAGE the behaviors you dislike very consistently. and STAY CALM AND ASSERTIVE at all times. =]

If you would like to further discuss this with me please feel free to call me at ***please do not give out private info on the forum, that's what PM's are for***

_Mikey
Aka Dog_Boy
:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
First of all, your dog is a good dog and what you have is a dominance issues not an aggression issue. And secondly, let me be the first to tell you dont hit your dog, if will not benefit you in any way and will only build mistrust and a fear towards hands.

and to answer your question "Is it something I'm doing?" YES

Was if my fault that the reason she is getting nippy is because of the rough housing I do with her like Tug o war?
Yes and no. it is perfectly fine to rough house with a dog and play dominance oriented games like Tug-O-War as long as there are clear boundaries that are consistently (and fairly) enforced. which i believe is the route of your problem.

Before we discuss a solution i would like discuss a few other key things i noticed in your post.
"I'm frustrated and angry."​
it is impossible to solve a problem like this (or most behavioral problems) when you are in that mind frame. your dog can sense this and you are intern amplifying the behavior your are trying to fix.

Second is the bit about the PETCO Dog Training, while this can do worlds for your relationship with the dog, simple obedience commands like sit and stay will not solve this problem.

one thing you will (should) learn from that class is that in order for your dog to learn and effectively execture a command you have to be extremely consistent in your rewards and punshiment and clear in your intentions so the dog can succeed.

To Fix your problem you must:
1) Set boundaries and rules and consistently enforce them, this will show the puppy who is in charge.
For Example, the dog is not to be in a certain room (kitchen during dinner,)
or the dog is not allowed to touch a toy when it is in your hand

2) Stay calm, your frustration only further intensifies the problem

3) introduce the brush as a good experience, toss the brush on the floor, when the dog approaches it and gives it a sniff rewards her with a treat. slowly work up to brushing her always keeping very positive and progress at a pace she is comfortable with.

i could go on all night, but to keep it plain and simple your dog is assuming the position of leader and exerting dominant behavior on you. you need to step up, REINFORCE the behavior you are looking for and DISCOURAGE the behaviors you dislike very consistently. and STAY CALM AND ASSERTIVE at all times. =]

If you would like to further discuss this with me please feel free to call me at ***PM***
_Mikey
Aka Dog_Boy
:)
thanks for the Advice. I cant believe your posted your number. My friends on another website told me the same thing. I dont mind hearing it again trust me. She is only 11 weeks old and she is a malti poo. I'm going to do my best to change the situation before it gets worse. Be positive and patient. Be Calm and Assertive. Reinforce good behaviors and correct bad ones. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you got it, and hey my number is up a craigslist for dog training and i dont get any creeps so why not here. plus it helps to use the phone to figure out exactly what the problem is. but just be consistent it wont change over night. i have a 6 month old lab and it took weeks to get him to stop using his mouth everything he wanted to play. a few thousand "NO BITE" and not backing down and i havn't felt a tooth sense. good luck
_Mikey
Aka Dog_Boy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts