Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Fyi...a pitbull is a mutt like many other breeds...pitbulls are bulldog mixed with terrior...so calling this dog a mutt if it is mixed with american bulldog doesnt hold much weight..

·
Registered
513 Posts
The sire definitely looks more American Bulldog-ish to me than APBT. Dam looks like your typical Pit Bull mix. Without papers from a reputable registry, you'll never know for sure exactly what's behind the pups lineage.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Look, if your friend is not a bad breeder, ask him what breed the father of your pup's brother/father is and then you'll know.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I absolutely was not denigrating him by saying he's a mutt. What that word means, to me, is that he's a mix of unknown heritage.

The only thing that you do know about him is that his COI (coefficient of inbreeding) is at least 25%. Which is the same COI as for a sister/brother breeding, by the way. So I'm not sure what you think the difference is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
you said the pup couldn't go back to the litter due to untreated worms. Which sounds like neglect. It was your excuse not mine. If the dogs were not being neglected you could have returned him to his mother to complete his development. So. . .
neglected would mean the dog is not taking care of and left alone...look at the picture...does that damn dog look neglected???...and me keeping the pup wasnt bad at all because i have a entire litter of pitbull pups that he mixes right in with...im here looking for breed discussion not any advice on anything else

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Obviously he's at least 3/4 pit bull. Since his mother is a pit bull and his father/brother is at least half pit bull. What his other 1/4 is should be something the breeder could tell you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
it sounds like you really want the puppy to be an american bulldog, for whatever reason... But actually have no reason to think he's anything other than a mutt.

You can't really tell people not to comment about the puppy being only 5 weeks old and separated from the litter. You don't have the authority to censor people.

like i said about 5 times now...there is a full litter of full blood pitts that he mixes right in with...so him leaving at 5 weeks means nothing....but its funny how i chose him to be my personal dog rather then full blooded pit already on papers with puppies the same age...because i never personally seen dogs this gorgeous and big and hard working...and a full blood pitbull is a mutt! its a bulldog mix with a terrier!...u take a full blood pit and hit it with a full blood american bulldog then you basically get a massive pitbull...pitbulls come from bulldogs!..now a ****ing pitbull mix with a German Shepherd or something like that is what u call a mutt!lol..all im asking is somewhere down the line..an american bulldog mite have came in the mix which could be the reason why they are so big

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
the sire definitely looks more american bulldog-ish to me than apbt. Dam looks like your typical pit bull mix. Without papers from a reputable registry, you'll never know for sure exactly what's behind the pups lineage.
thanks thats all i was asking...the breeder i got him from is not a breeder looking for profit..he has a lot of personal pitts...he selects the mates just to get 1 or 2 puppies for himself and sells the rest...the litter size is always 10 strong..i was just thinking that maybe he doesnt realize that if these dogs are really full pit like he suspect they are then he basically could have had his own bloodline..but somewhere deep in the past before he began breeding them that there maybe was a hit of american bulldog...because these dogs are 100+pounds and even the mother is taller then most male pitts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Let me brake it all the way down. The person i got the pup from is not a breeder looking to make money. He has a lot of bad ass pitbulls and he simply has them because he loves the dogs. He hasnt tried registering any of his big boys because he simply is not looking to make money..he just keep them fed, socialized, trained, and "big"..i dont care if the dog is mixed or not because i know for a fact how he will turn out..i am just curious that maybe he actually has american bulldog and not pitbull but doesnt know...and breeding mother and son is perfectly fine...that is how you produce tri-color pitbulls because both carry the same recessive gene....breeding brother and sister from the same litter is were the problem is and this is not the case...
Yeah, your "breeder" is doing it for the money. And not doing it very well. Those dogs are sadly lacking in many areas. How much did you pay? Exactly what do these bad ass dogs work so splendidly at?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok I will not even get in to the details like other and say this.Most Pit are small than the American,even a big pit is going to be small than a American.(the one I have seen and their are a lot of both were i live) You should be able to tell if he is more American because he should be bigger than you pits.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
thanks thats all i was asking...the breeder i got him from is not a breeder looking for profit..he has a lot of personal pitts...he selects the mates just to get 1 or 2 puppies for himself and sells the rest...the litter size is always 10 strong..i was just thinking that maybe he doesnt realize that if these dogs are really full pit like he suspect they are then he basically could have had his own bloodline..but somewhere deep in the past before he began breeding them that there maybe was a hit of american bulldog...because these dogs are 100+pounds and even the mother is taller then most male pitts
So what type of checks does this breeder do to know that he isn't selling his dogs for dog fighting? What type of checks do you plan to do with this litter you have at home to make sure the dogs are going to responsible homes instead of dog fighting or homes that expect them to be guard dogs? Do you plan to breed this dog also?

The APBT is a breed, like many breeds today, other breeds contributed to creating it. The AKC registers the American Staffordshire Terrier and the UKC registers the APBT.

The UKC breed standard for weight is:
"HEIGHT AND WEIGHT

The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.

Very Serious Fault: Excessively large or overly massive dogs."

that said,

It doesn't matter in the least what this dog's lineage is unless you plan to breed it and try to sell the dogs as a specific type. And before you do that, take a trip down to a high kill city shelter and watch them put to sleep "pit bull" after "pit bull"; maybe see some of the dogs confiscated from dog fighting rings and see the physical and mental damage done to them. Then picture the pups that you are breeding ending up there and the dogs that this very irresponsible backyard breeder is producing ending up there.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
This whole thread is ridiculous.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you're that concerned about lineage, why don't you buy a DNA test? They cost about $50 and might help settle your concerns. You can get them at your vet's office or online.

It doesn't matter in the least what this dog's lineage is unless you plan to breed it and try to sell the dogs as a specific type. And before you do that, take a trip down to a high kill city shelter and watch them put to sleep "pit bull" after "pit bull"; maybe see some of the dogs confiscated from dog fighting rings and see the physical and mental damage done to them.
I agree--shelters are overflowing with homeless pit bulls and pit mixes... why in the world are people breeding more?? It's so disheartening.

regardless i know for sure this dog will turn out bad ass
Why don't you shoot for having your Pit (or Pit/AmBulldog, whatever) turn out to be a well-trained, well-mannered responsible canine citizen? There's enough Breed Specific Legislation going around that we don't need more hotshots with their "bad ass" Pit Bulls. Sigh.

Jen

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
yep this is great, guy breeding tons of bullys for no reason... guy buying dog because its "bad ass".... ugh.... wow.... sometimes i wish you had to have an IQ test before being granted a dog, never the less a bully breed.

nice "breeder" you have there btw. inbreeding and THINKING he knows about genetics, pups have worms, and are being taken at 5 wks.... never the less the mom and pups are sitting in what looks like a doG for saken CLOSET with a WOOD floor in the DARK.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts