Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is my dog too small to breed?

37K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
I have done some research online and I have found mixed answers. I have an adorable yorkie/teacup poodle mix, Lola, she will be three years old this July and weighs about five pounds. I have been thinking about breeding her, but I am afraid for her safety. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to her. Has anyone bred a dog this small? Was it safe? Should I breed her?

#2 ·
Why would you want to breed a mixed breed? With the "rescue a pet, save a life" sig, one would think that you wouldn't want to add to the number of mixed breeds out there competing for a home. There are, of course, extra risks in breeding very small dogs. If you don't that you can risk her, you'd be be better off having her spayed and just enjoy her companionship.

#4 · (Edited)
If you want an honest opinion, it's not safe nor necessary for a dog of that size to breed. The smaller a dog is, generally the more complications during the birthing process. A dog that size may need a c-section. You need to ask yourself, why do I want to breed her? Dogs do not want to get pregnant, they are simply driven to breed because of over-powering hormones that cause them discomfort if they don't breed. They aren't like humans, they don't all 'want children' at some point. That's not important to them. Frankly, there are already too many puppies and dogs in this country that are being put to sleep every day because there aren't enough homes to go around, so why put more puppies into the mix?
The healthiest, kindest, and morally best thing to do is to never breed your pup, and get her spayed to prevent uncomfortable heat cycles and help prevent certain illnesses and cancers that come with un-spayed females. It's your choice, of course, but like I said... Unless you're wanting to make money off of the puppies, (which is definitely the worst reason to breed) I don't see a good reason to breed your dog and put her in danger like that. :3

#5 ·
I'm not necessarily against mixed breed breeding, providing it's done responsibly, BUT:

Have you performed all necessary genetic health tests (NOT a vet check up) to ensure that your dog is free of all potential hereditary diseases in both breeds that she is mixed with? Do you have money set aside in case a c-section is required (not uncommon in small breeds)? Are you prepared to provide a minimum 3 year written health guarantee to your puppy's new owners, and are you prepared to take any and all of them back at any time if their owners can no longer care for them?

If you can not answer yes to each and every one of these questions, than no, you should not be breeding your pup, regardless of her size. Please get your little girl spayed.

#7 ·
My, that's an odd signature for someone who wants to breed.

#8 ·
I have done some research online and I have found mixed answers. I have an adorable yorkie/teacup poodle mix, Lola, she will be three years old this July and weighs about five pounds. I have been thinking about breeding her, but I am afraid for her safety. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to her. Has anyone bred a dog this small? Was it safe? Should I breed her?
Pregnancy is dangerous. Emergencies happen, expensive medical intervention is required and there is no guarantee you'll leave the vets office with mom or pups.

#9 ·
One of my dogs came from a litter who's mom died from complications when they were three weeks old. She had a uterine tear, and continued to bleed. After a.vet check, who wasn't concerned, she went downhill fast. They couldn't save her even with surgery and transfusions. This was a 60 lb dog.

There can be many complications with breeding, pregnancy, and delivery. Even if you were producing top working dogs that are saving lives, world champion show dogs, or service dogs making everyday life possible for disabled people, you still have to weigh the risks when breeding.

#10 ·
For the sake of your bitch, the dog population and your bitches phantom puppies, please do not breed her. Not only is it not safe, it's irresponsible.

You have a mixed breed dog that I assume is not competing in any sort of sport, and therefore has no other purpose other than being a pet. Breeding her wouldn't prove anything, it would not be bettering a breed. It would be irresponsibly bringing more dogs into a world that's already full of them. She is not going to miss not having puppies.
Do as your signature says if you want more dogs; Rescue a Pet, Save a Life

#13 ·
Why would you assume a mixed breed is not competing in any sort of sport?? Many do these days. I probably am a bit of a heretic in that I don't think competing in some general sports (obedience, agility, rally, etc) is a proof of breedworthiness. I think actual working trials - and to some extent, conformation, may be. But are not the only considerations - health and temperament are equally important.

#17 ·
You don't often see 5 lb dogs participating in sports. I suppose it's possible, but it's unlikely.

I've known numerous people who have done obedience with Paps, Poms, Maltese, Yorkies and Chihuahuas. I have one friend who has done very well in Freestyle with her Papillions. I've seen agility dogs so tiny that they have to balance themselves at the very edge of the teeter to make it go down (and of course, there's even "Teacup Agility" now)

#19 ·
I've known numerous people who have done obedience with Paps, Poms, Maltese, Yorkies and Chihuahuas. I have one friend who has done very well in Freestyle with her Papillions. I've seen agility dogs so tiny that they have to balance themselves at the very edge of the teeter to make it go down (and of course, there's even "Teacup Agility" now)
Okay, I really want to see that. Around here, there's nothing like that.

Man, I live in a sucky place. We don't even have lure coursing.

#20 ·
You're posting in the "first time dog owner" forum asking about breeding your 5-lb pup? I'm really hoping you posted this in the wrong place... Regardless of the breed or the size, I don't think first-time dog owners have any business breeding their dogs... especially not if the only thing you've done is "research on the internet." There are a lot of aspects of being a responsible breeder. For the love of all that is good in the world, get her spayed.

#22 ·
Yeah, I never said that.
It's an individual dog thing. I don't see why a dog would excel at something like agility, or flyball or some other backyard sport just because it's purebred.

#27 ·
Pretty sure you're the only one that read it that way, Pawz. I didn't read it the way you did, and apparently neither did several others

#37 ·
Even if you had a pedigreed purebred dog, if this were your first dog, i would still say spay her. Do not breed if you do not have any experience or knowledge on ALL the info you need to become a responsible breeder, only breeding to better the breeds lines.

#41 ·
DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG. Small, medium or large you as a pet owner and one who declares to rescue and save a life, should not breed. If you do, the puppies are going to be the ones who will need to be rescued and saved. I hope your motive behind wanting to breed is not money. A good, responsible breeder does not profit from breeding. The 'profit' comes from knowing that the health testing and their efforts have contributed to the betterment of.the breed. I love dogs, purebred or mutt, but I hate seeing unwanted dogs in cages waiting to be euthanized. Not to mention the health risks to your dog and who knows what congenital conditional she may pass onto her pups. Help save a life not condemn it to a cage.

#42 ·
I have two beautiful teacup yorkie s (yes I know teacup isn’t an actual size) but they are 3pounds Chloe and 5 pounds Brody. They are both phenomenally pedigreed and would be a perfect breeding pair, but they are both fixed! My baby girl is far too small too be bred and my baby girl! She is my baby. I would never ever jeopardize her health for a puppy from her. She’s my heart just as my baby boy is. I would love love love to have babies from them, but they are here for me to love. They aren’t to be bred for money. I want them safe, happy, and healthy! That’s all that matters. Please be responsible with your babies. You want to keep them safe don’t risk breeding them. Live and cherish them. Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.