Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a pug, female, 3 years old. She always has allot of energy, but today and yesterday, she has no energy, looks up, licks her nose, slowly blinks, and looks like she is almost falling asleep. She sometimes will whine as well when she is looking up and licking her nose. Any one have any suggestions as to what it could be, or ask me if I am not giving enough information.

thanks, and I am waiting for your reply.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is she eating and drinking normally? Pooping/peeing normally? Did you exercise her or have her where she may have become overheated (if so...see a vet).

Have you taken her temperature?

Is it hotter than normal where you are, so the heat may be making her lazy?

If everything seems normal except that she is lazier, I'd give it a day or so, and see if she rebounds. If she isn't eating, drinking, eliminating normally, or has a fever, I'd take her to a vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is eating normally, peeing and pooping normaly as well. But she looks like she has allot less energy than usual. She looks sad. I don't have anything to take her temperature with.

Yes it is hot here, in fact 2 days ago, we took her to a dog festival, it wasn't hot out, just warm, but by the end of it she was pretty hot and was breathing heavily, and we had to put her in front of the AC in order to cool her down.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with pugs and other "smushed face" breeds, is that they can't handle heat as well as longer nosed dogs. Take ice cubes along on outings and be sure to offer water/ice regularly, and limit her exercise during hot times of the day, or if there is high humidity.

If she is doing everything else normally (eating/etc), then I would probably chaulk it up to the weather. If you are still concerned, you could call your vet in the am, and ask him/her what they think. It's free (a phone call), and much better than relying on non vets, that haven't seen your dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks allot for your help. i will see in the morning, and if she is still the same, I will call the vet. If anything, I will take her there after work tomorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Be sure to update us, and come stay on the forums...they're a lot of fun.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My pug gets very lazy in the summer heat, and she is usually a ball of energy! After our usual walks in the summer, she will plop down on the floor for a while whereas normally she would be running circles in the house!

Look for these other symptoms, though: circling, extreme lethargy, confusion, bumping into things, seizures, inability to jump onto things (couch, bed), or apparent blindness. This could be signs of PDE which is very serious and needs immediate attention.

I hope it's nothing, though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your help. This morning I woke up, and she was much better, pretty much back to normal. When I got back from work, she was fully back to normal. So all is well, thanks very much for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts