Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I can be a worry wart with my two dogs mainly since they can't tell me exactly when something is wrong so I apologize if this is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I live in LA and it has been excessively hot this past week so I assume this is the cause of at least majority of their symptoms however, one of my dogs I am a little more worried about due to her extra symptoms over her sister.

First I will note I live in an apartment with my two dogs who, if I remember correcty, are around 11 years old. I have no AC so it can get pretty hot in here to the point where I even can do nothing but sit on my couch and pour water on myself in attempts to cool off.

Both dogs have been extra tired and just lay on my floor all day, which like I said, I assume is just from the heat and they usually lay around anyways. In fact, Sedona has been smart in figuring out laying in front of a floor fan is her best option and usually parks herself there pretty much solidifying that the heat is the issue. I have tried to ease the heat for them by putting cool wash cloths on their backs and it seems to help. However, both are doing a lot of heavy panting as well. The concerning thing to me is the amount. It's almost constant panting all day unless they are sleeping. Again, I have a feeling this is heat related as well and I give them plenty of water to try to prevent heat exhaustion as well as plenty of food. However since one the panting is definitely worse than usual I have to ask what is usual for this amount of heat and when does it become something to worry about. I also don't pay the closest attention to their eating habits on a regular basis I can't tell if they really aren't eating much as usual, which I feel like is happening, or if they are actually eating theor normal amount (their food is in a different bowl then usual so I can't really compare that way). Yes, I recognize the new bowl is something that can be a factor in changed eating habits.

Besides the panting being more excessive than usual it's also seems more frantic then their typical panting. Heavier, faster and clearly effecting them both more so then the average day's. They seem to have to get up and readjust themselves more and have a harder time relaxing. The way they look breathing is also different I think.. which could 100% be me over thinking it and being paranoid over analyzing things. It's just that sometimes I look over to them and even during the moments when they are sleeping they're chest / rib area seems to be taking breathes in which their rib cage raises as if taking a deep breath followed with quick and sharp exhales. I just don't think they're breathing has been so apparent to notice in the past. If all that makes sense. Then again, I'm not always watching for how they are breathing when I look at them so that may be why I haven't noticed this happening before.

Lastly, one of my dogs has a bit more on the dhiarea side of fecal movements which isn't completely uncommon for her considering the number of things that easily cause it. This isn't a major case and it's not every time I've taken her out either but I feel it's worth mentioning. She also seems to be having some eye discharge, which is common for both dogs. However, this is probably the cherry on top reason I'm concerned there is something more going on since it's usually my other dog with the heavier issue of this. Cameron gets goopy eyes here and there but the past day or so it has been much more of an issue with her and almost every time I look at her eyes she seems to be having an issue with a good amount of discharge. Her eyes seem slightly irritated but she doesn't seemed fazed by it.

I apologize for this extensive post but considering each of these symptoms are relatively minuscule on their own I felt I should go into detail. One last thing I should add both dogs have a thyroid issue they are on medication for which I just received therefill for so it has been about a week since they received their normal medication routine. They also have knack for getting into trash which they proved again just the other day.

I appreciate any feedback on my dogs possible symptoms or possible nothings. Hah again I apologize for making you read such a long post to do so. I wanted to give all the details as best I could to hopefully get as accurate of a response as I can and definitely if these symptoms continue for more than a couple days or so I will contact my vet..until then I hope to avoid that big vet cost on what I'm hoping is nothing more than me being a worry wart.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I really cannot give an answer to your questions ... but if it is that hot in your apartment and you cannot take the dogs to an air conditioned relatives home or someplace else that may offer a cooler environment ... maybe even a kiddie pool in the shade outside would maybe help .... you can try freezing an empty 2 liter bottle of water or two ( keep one in the freezer as a spare) and place it in front of your fan. This will act as an air conditioner ... along with some wet towels.

If the dogs haven't had their medication as normal because they ran out ... I would be concerned with the effects it has on them physically. Just like humans .... I have copd ... if I miss my breathing treatments or my daily meds ... I cannot function properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick response! Yes my apartment is pretty hot but I don't think it's anything too intense for my dogs to handle and certainly not bad enough where I need to find other arrangements for them to stay at. They lived in AZ most of their life where it got to be 125 in the summer. This is just a heat wave the past couple days. I keep lots of cold water out and like I said cool wash clothes or I get their fur a little damp to cool off.

As far as the medicine, this is something they've been on awhile and have gone just as long without it before between refills. I know that, like humans, there are possible side effects to not partaking in their daily routine but I don't think that is the main issue here. :)
The vet even said that even the choice to not give them their medicine at all will not necessarily effect them so much now but more so later in life.

Like I said in my post I'm pretty sure it's just the heat for their symptoms but I thought I'd ease my mind by getting a second opinion. Especially if there is any worry it might be something more. They both are sleeping soundly right now and I do think I have noticed them much calmer during the cooler parts of the evening. This heat is supposed to ease up the next few days so hopefully they will get back to their livelier yet completely lazy selves.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I hope the heat eases up for all of you! It has been a brutal summer for much of the country. If they are breathing easier in the cool of the evenings ... it is a good thing!

In fact ... our whole house air went out on us yesterday ... the furnace quit! ... and cannot be fixed until Monday. Somebody is looking out for us .... the temps for the next few days will be in the 60's at night and 59 degrees tonight! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I envy your tempurtures. It's definitely hotter in my apartment then outside. It's ridiculous.
I had my hot water quit on me the other day which I have to wait until Monday as well to get this fixed. However, I think this is the one instance that I just don't mind this at all. Cold showers are keeping me sane.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Everything you mentioned could also be symptoms of Cushings. The rapid panting, restlessness, getting into trash, etc. Get a vet to check them out for cushings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything you mentioned could also be symptoms of Cushings. The rapid panting, restlessness, getting into trash, etc. Get a vet to check them out for cushings.
I appreciate your response with my dogs' possible health problem! However, after reading over the cushings symptoms the only one they really have is the heavy panting and that is far down the list of common symptoms. They don't seem to show any of the main tell tale signs for cushings.
The trash is more of a me being irresponsible and dogs being dogs type of situation. I only mentioned it for the possibility they ate something that was harmful to their health.

Thanks again for the response though!
They seem to be much better this morning. The panting has gone way down and I'm sure it's because it has gotten a bit cooler out.
If you have any suggestion on treating cameron's eye etc please let me know. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know much about the signs and symptoms for myiasis? I actually randomly heard a reference to this disease in a movie and thought I should look this up. Especially considering the getting into the trash incident that happened recently. I know a lot of times you can see them but to be honest I'm afraid to really look at their backsides (which I read is the most common area for this to open with). Maggots and larvae are one of number one things that gross me out..along with ticks. I wonder if could this possibly explain some of the symptoms my dogs are having? I'm not sure if the two tie together.

Sedona is biting on her front leg near her paw a lot. Which again, with this breed's sensitive skin type this is not unusual for her to do but still. Any information would be helpful!

The internet doesn't provide a whole lot with information of recognizing the disease just more on the treatment and preventing it. I read it is a common / easy thing to get with dogs and I know it can be fatal in some cases if left untreated. Again any information would be helpful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts