Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time it happened I thought " that was strange behavior" now I know my dog is being the instigator. Here is the story. I live in an apartment building complex. It is a pet friendly happy go lucky place. My dog rarely sees any of the other dogs who live in the complex minus the crazy Yorkie who lives next door. (i don't know if this is relevant but the Yorkie has shown aggression to her in the past.) Well I was coming home with my dog and walked through the complex main door. My dog and I were greeted by a random neighbor and his dog. My dog smelled the other dog and as I was saying hello to the neighbor she lunged at the dog and went crazy. I pulled my dog back and disciplined her and the neighbor took his dog and left, clearly annoyed. What baffles me is my dog is great with other dogs. I take her to work with me on a farm where she runs around with the farm dogs. On the weekend I take her to the dog park and she is kind and respectful to all other dogs. I do notice that when I do walk her on the leash and if we pass other dogs who do not stop to say hello she gets peeved and pulls and barks. My dog is a 1 year old terrier/poodle cross. I don't want her showing any type of aggression especially to my neighbors dogs, this has happened twice, and that is two too many. I am confused as to what is triggering this behavior and what is the best course of action to take to correct the behavior, do I need to hang out in the lobby of the building to show her that it not her building? as I can only assume its a territorial thing. Any guidance on this problem will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What do you mean by "disciplined her"? Sometimes if something unpleasant happens in the presence of anther dog (such as being punished) they'll think the other dog caused it and that can cause reactivity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stood on her leash to restrain her pulling, then grabbed her collar. In my mad firm voice I stood in front of her and said no, I held onto her until she calmed down enough to follow a command then released her with her still sitting. I tried to keep her in the lobby until she completely calmed down, but then a man came through the elevator ( without a dog) and said hi to her and she got all excited again. I then went back to my apartment. I don't believe there was any negative reinforcement , unless she thinks it was the other dog who made me do the mad voice. On a side note She also barks like a mad dog in the car when we drive by dogs and crows. hmmm maybe she feels threatened in confined spaces.

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Look up "leash reactivity"

Take treats in your pocket when you are walking her around your apartment complex and when she starts to get riled up, ask for a sit and get her focused on you rather than the other dog and treat for calm behavior. Even a second of calm behavior (sitting and looking at you and not barking) gets a treat. Yelling or using a loud voice will just get her more hyped up and holding her down can just make her want to pull/struggle more. You want to get a voluntary focus on you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts