Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Six months ago I got a Toller puppy; I already had a 16 year old. I had to keep them separated because junior wanted to play and senior wanted to be left alone.
They were doing better and I was able to let them get together until last month when junior went into heat and pestered senior like crazy.
Just as junior was out of heat, senior died. She had a series of seizures and junior went wild; we couldn't calm her down. I tried to take her for a walk while my wife stayed with senior, but she was just wild. We had to put her out on the enclosed porch until until senior got over each seizure. I couldn't console senior with junior howling. (look up "toller scream" on Youtube)
It was a very difficult night for all of us.

Now junior naps alot, likes to sit in my lap, and won't go for walks. A couple days ago I attributed it to her not getting any sleep that night, but she should have recovered from that by now.

She is eating okay and is still playing frisbee as before.

Was it trauma from hearing senior seizing?
Does she miss senior?
Or maybe it is just something that happens to puppies coming out of their first heat?

Any suggestions for what I can do, except pay a lot of attention to her (which I am glad to do, as I really am sad over senior)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm so sorry about senior. 16 is a good run, but it's still so sad to say goodbye. If she's the one on the left in your sig, she has a darling face.

You might consider the possibility that her lack of interest in walks isn't directly 100% related to either recent issue. IIRC you've posted before about how you train on walks and the behavior your require on walks, and it didn't sound to me like the kind of thing a dog would look forward to.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IIRC you've posted before about how you train on walks and the behavior your require on walks, and it didn't sound to me like the kind of thing a dog would look forward to.
Until the last couple days she ran to me when I got out the harness to walk; so I don't think that is the issue.

Picture on the left is senior about 3 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
I personally think it's entirely possible that your dog is mourning.

We lost our miniature schnauzer about five weeks ago and Esther has been moping for the past four. They had been buddies for over ten years.

Zeke died at home and we made sure Esther saw him. Otherwise, she would be looking everywhere for him. Beyond that, I don't think there's much that can be done. I'm sure it takes time.

BTW, Esther is about 14 herself and when she's gone, I'm anticipating a very tough time with Molly.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Max didn't seem to notice Sassy's death and he was very happy that Artie went home until.... he figured out he was the only dog. A week after Artie went home a loose dog came out to play with him. He had a great time but went home and took to his bed. He ate and took walks and maintained house training but otherwise was in bed. I thought maybe he was hurt during the play session and even had the vet do a blood panel but no injury or disease detected. Turned out returning to normal life worked, he started feeling better when I took him to the dog park and to agility class.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Sorry about senior.

Dogs do bond to other dogs, but I don't think the loss is as complex with them. It could be that she lost a 'parent' type or playmate ... and now she no longer has a playmate, and maybe her schedule has changed ... Look for some play date opportunities?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Hey, sorry for your loss.

Big life changes, whether it's moving or having a baby or losing a dog, often affects behavior. The household structure is different now. Perhaps you and your family are acting just slightly different. And just as dogs going into new homes enter 'honeymoon periods' (read: behaviors may be suppressed while they figure out their new routine), your puppy is likely figuring out what the routine will be now that your older dog is gone. I have seen bonded dogs separated and I don't necessarily think your pup is grieving or mourning, due to the fact that she is eating and playing fine.

Not related to death, but here's another perspective on how sensitive to change and structure dogs can be. In my puppy play group class, which is held in a small, 20'x25' room, even changing where the owners of the puppies sit, or using an exercise pen to separate puppies into different play groups (so all the puppies can still 100% see each other and interact in a certain way), the puppies act drastically different. Removing one puppy, separating, or adding one puppy changes the dynamics and interactions of every single puppy in the room. This is a group of maybe 7-12 puppies interacting over 45 minutes. It's crazy to see. Point being, subtle changes can cause huge changes in behavior. And what your household is experiencing is a huge change.

Anyways, I hope you find peace and healing with time, and I'm glad you have the pup for company!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been a week now. She has had a couple good walks and naps less; still like to sit in our laps.
So, whatever it was, she is better. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts