Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I scratch Hitch's neck he leans into it and streatches his neck out like all other dogs that I have known, but also once in a while he will do a little quiet growl. If he doesn't like something he usually will walk away, but he doesn't walk away, he keeps on enjoying it. He never bites. If I stop he acts like he wants more. So I do more. Do dogs growl in happy times? Is he confused? The vet says he is fine.

Btw, Hitch has quite a few odd behaviors, none aggressive. I don't know if he got much attention or what kind of attention before I got him.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Some dogs have a kind of "purr", a soft low contented growly noise. One of my friends had a Rottie that growled when happy, she always warned people that the dog would do that when petted to no one would get scared.
I think you just have to know your dog and know his body language and preferences (like, pet here but not here) to figure out what he is trying to tell you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like a purr of some sorts. I watch his body language, and definitly know what he does not like. That is why I was confused about this one, because all his body language was saying yes but then he was growling kind of. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
my dog does this when he lays down every night, he growls in a very content way. I know he is serious about going to sleep when he does this =-) its the first dog I have ever had that did this and I thought it was so strange for awhile not I enjoy it as one of his unique qualities.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota does this, too. The first time he did it, I stopped, but he cuddled closer for more, so then I realized it was a purr, not a growl.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
When we get some dogs in to clean their ears at the clinic they make that noise, its like we are scratching an itch that they have never been able so scratch before and they sound sooo funny! All the while wagging their tale and still trying to slobber all over you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts