Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a black lab mix (35 pounds) about 2 years old, one month ago. She is really great -
she gets 2 walks a day (about 40 min in the morning about 5:45am and then again for about 30 min. at around 6 pm) and we have a fenced in yard.

She goes out into the yard in between the walks about 3-4 times a day. I would say 2 of the times are not for real play and 2 of the times for a good solid 30 min playtime.

She is never alone in the yard, even if it's just for a peepee. During the 'play' yard times we throw a ball, or we have a few different fun toys.

Nina, is happy to run around the yard and will run after the ball (toy) and is great. However, she is ready and runs to the door to come in after like 15 min. We try to entice her to come and run with us , play with us.. whatever but she is content to just lay down and hang out and then goes to the door to come in.

When she gets inside, sometimes (not all the time, sometimes she comes in and lays down) she goes wild- chasing her tail , runs through the house.... why not do this outside with us??? We have Kong toys and rolled up socks and we love her with hugs and pets!!

Is this normal behavior?? So many people look at her and say "she is going to need so much exercise" based on her muscular body but is it possible she is not the normal lab mix??

She never chews things or rips up the rug. She isn't aggressive or pushy with us- all behaviors that I read are connected to boredom.. but i'm so curious why she is done so fast outside.

She looks like she is mixed with hound and her bark kind of sounds like a beagle!
Thanks for all the help!
Lauren

·
Registered
245 Posts
OHH i am sooo glad my sadie isnt the only one!! lol-- she does about the same thing, plays real hard for maybe 15 mins or so, then just STOPS!! lays on the grass, or wants in. Shes never alone either and the yard looks like there are kids here! toys all over the place (no kids tho) so maybe it is a mix in them. Dont know. But you are not alone-- thanks for letting me know that. :)

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Don't know where you are, but Labs get hot very quickly. So she may have enough of the outside heat and want to go inside and play where it is cooler.

Be careful about the not chewing. If she is part Lab, then she may be a chewing machine, so make sure that she always has a hard rubber bone or Kong to chew on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
Yes, I do have Kong toys and bones for chewing- the funny thing is that she likes an old pair of socks to chew on! I have a really hard bone that can be stuffed and she will chew for a little bit on that but I think it may be too hard for her!
We are in NY so the hot days have been bad! Thanks for the info!
Lauren

·
Registered
165 Posts
I really don't have an answer as to why she behaves the way she does (maybe she just gets over-heated?), but what about taking her out for a swim?

When it's a hot day but we want to encourage Cosmo to get outside with us, socialize and have fun, we take him down to the lake. He has a blast, and it's a great way to do stuff together outside without worrying too much about overheating? Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds so fun! We don't have a lake for her to swim in!
My kids are making an obstacle course in our small basement for her right now! Let's see what happens!

Maybe she just doesn't need as much as people think...

Does sleeping mean boredom??

:)
Lauren

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does sleeping mean boredom??
Not necessarily. Cosmo can sleep the day away in his crate or when at work with me, which dogs should be able to do if they are comfortable, calm and relaxed. Sometimes dogs will nod off when bored, too...though most resort to more obvious behaviour! Cosmo will zoom around the house, follow you around or bug the cats a lot (among other things!) Never a doubt when he is bored! :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like a case of the "zoomies" to me! I've seen lots of dogs exhibit this behavior -- they just get excited and start zooming all over. Some dogs get it after a bath, some dogs get it in the snow, and some dogs get it inside. It doesn't mean your dog is bored... it's just a strange dog behavior that is actually very common.

Does it look anything like these videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjV9Bo4pTg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYNiqzJU6ac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5X3JswLdE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fhY47SdQ4g&feature=related

1 - 10 of 10 Posts