Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In most respects Chico is a great dog. The only issue is that he doesn't always get along with other dogs. With dogs he knows well, and sometimes with random playful dogs he will play and tussle. Some dogs usually ones that bark, he will ignore, and about 50% of the time, when meeting a new dog, his hackles will go up and as soon as the other dog sniffs him he goes off barking and snapping and growling. Puppies too.

Now obviously I try to avoid this and so he doesn't run in the dog park anymore, and if his hackles are up that's time to tighten the leash. But can anything be done? As a puppy he played a lot with other dogs. It wasn't really until he was close to 1 year old that he would snap. He has been neutered. We did a lot of dog school as a puppy, but really that was just teaching him to do stuff, not really changing any social behavior.

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
Not all dogs are dog-social and a lot of them become less dog social after reaching maturity between about 1-2 years of age.
He could also have some leash reactivity or barrier issues- basically, some dogs that are fine off-leash can't handle greeting while on-leash. I'm not suggesting you just take him to the dog park though, he obviously isn't interested in playing with other dogs in general and wouldn't be trustworthy at a dog park.

Dogs fall into various places on the "dog liking dog" spectrum... more or less it could be classified like this: Some dogs are dog-social meaning they really like and want to play with other dogs; some are dog-tolerant where they like the dogs that they like and ignore the others, they don't really want to play in big groups or dog park type settings. Others are dog-selective where they like some dogs and dislike others and some are dog-aggressive meaning they act aggressively towards many/most dogs (particularly strange dogs).
Your dog sounds like he is "dog-selective" which isn't abnormal or anything, it doesn't make him a jerk it just makes him a dog that needs his space and isn't suited to dog parks or play groups with unknown/new dogs. Continuing with training classes could be good, but it won't necessarily make him like those 50% of dogs that he currently dislikes.

Personally, I don't let my dog greet strange dogs on the street and we don't do dog parks. In part, because too many people don't understand their dog or cannot control their dog. While mine is friendly, he will return aggression if it is directed at him. But he has dog friends, likes the dogs at the training facility and currently has a foster dog to play with, so there is no need to let him play with strange dogs.

There may be some body language that the other dogs are giving off that makes him reactive, you could work with a trainer on reading that and reading his warnings so you can redirect his attention before he starts growling and snapping. You never know when he will annoy the wrong dog and have his growls and snaps start a dog fight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Perhaps you can try slowly socializing him (either with or without a trainer), introducing him to new dogs and trying to get him used to strangers. Think of it like a doggy play date. Of course, with strange dogs, it's like what the previous poster said about other owners not understanding and controlling their dogs that may cause the majority of the problems Chico has with them.

Cheers - Amanda

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No he isn't, my dog does not like dogs when in closed in spaces, she has been attacked a number of times, but she also will not seek out other dogs, actually she would rather they leave her alone, if they do come over she is abit tensed and nervous to start with, she can't stand dogs in her face or dogs that try and hump her, or dogs that jump on her to try and get her to play, she likes other dogs that like to play ball and will leave her in peace, my auntie's bc is the same actually, well apart from the closed in spaces, although sometimes her dog will react to dogs when she is on a leash, they are both BC's, i do keep my dog on a long lead only because she does run up and bark in dogs faces, oh and Holly will also bark at dogs that bark at her too, yes sometimes all of these things are annoying, but she is my dog, and i would not swap her, the most important thing is that she loves my nephews, and Holly and Poppy get on great, there's been no fights or snapping, just a few growls from Poppy when Holly gets abit excited when she first see's Poppy.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Miko is very similar. I believe he is leash reactive but does fine at the dog park. I don't consider him a jerk but it does make life difficult when we are on hikes and another dog is either off leash or the owner thinks its necessary for them to interact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts