Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I had planned on getting a basset hound. The owners of the basset had come over, met me, saw my yard and told me they would let me adopt her. I went out and bought basset hound sized stuff. Then they flaked out on me. I did end up rescuing a cocker spaniel from the pound but he was much smaller than the basset obviously so the basset sized crate was too big. I traded it on craigslist for a crate that was 31x19x21. I thought this would be perfect and when I put Zero in it he seemed to have just enough room to stand up, turn around and lie down stretched out. Then he went to sleep and I noticed him curled in just one end of the crate giving him a lot of room if he wanted to eliminate in one end and sleep in the other. Should I consider getting yet a smaller crate? Here's a pic of him standing in the crate.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Is he pottying in it? I'd let him have it and if he does potty in it, buy a divider.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Then I wouldn't worry about it. Smaller crates are cheaper but if you're buying used and you got a good deal on that one, keep it!

ETA: However, switch the kong and the rope :) Ropes should be supervised use only! Give him that Kong! ;)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strangely enough he doesn't care for either. He likes the Kong when it's stuffed properly, but ignores it otherwise. He's a weird animal.

·
Banned
12 Posts
If the dog is potty trained, the size of the crate doesn't matter as long as it's large enough. There is not one that is too large. If he is not potty trained you need to stick to the smaller ones like you have.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a much smaller plastic kennel (which does need replacing) that I use in the car. This one is pretty exclusively for just here at the house or, like I said, if we're out at a picnic or something and things are getting out of hand it's easily portable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts