Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed here lately that Toehuntai's coat has changed a bit. His coat used to be super soft but it's now starting to get just a tad bit wirey on his neck. And his tail, seems like I remember it being more silky but now it's frizzy and even more wirey than his neck. Meanwhile, the fur everywhere else is still super soft. So I was wondering if maybe the slicker brush was responsible for the change?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
How old is your pup? If he is young, it could be coat change. If he is an adult, it could still be that his coat is changing, or that you are damaging his coat when you are brushing it. Furminators are famous for coat damage when used too often or too harshly. Collars will also break off coat, and other pups chewing on tails, etc. can cause damage too. And many dogs (especially mixes) have different texture hair on different parts of the body. If your slicker is very old, I would replace it..if the pins are very bent up and out of shape I would replace it too.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toehuntai is 4-5 years old so I didn't think it was his age but I was concerned with me somehow damaging his coat. As far as the slicker condition, other than a few teeth marks on the body (... thanks Tj ... :rolleyes:), the pins seem just fine. Only a couple of the pins are bent along the outer ride of the brush. I've never used a Furminator (that is a brush of it's own, right?). My dogs never wear collars and when we're out and about they wear harnesses. I know mixed breeds can have mixed coats but this changing of Toehuntai's coat is fairly recent, which led me to believe I was doing something wrong. Now as for other pups causing damage from mouthing each other ... that would never happen here, (I say as my chair currently rumbles and jerks from a rambunctious Toehuntai and Tj rough-housing behind me.) :D

If it is damage and not just change of coat, is there anything I can do and/or use to re-new his coat?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Perhaps using a spray when you brush might help? Someone (I think here) had recommend the Bark2Basics D-Mat Anti-Stat Conditioner spray to use when I brush out my dog Lloyd. I haven't gotten it yet, but it should come next week some time. Its supposed to help prevent coat damage when you are brushing.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It definitely sounds like your dog is experiencing some coat damage.

I love B2B Demat with AntiStat! It is a good conditioner and brush out spray; it also helps loosen shedding coat. I use this on alot of my clients, especially those with long coats; it even works nicely on cats, who notoriously get 'greasy' coats from brush out sprays; this spray doesn't smell strongly (like some do), and doesn't leave any greasy feelings behind...it dries 'clean'.

I would invest in some decent comb out spray, and a rubber curry brush for your crew; the simple Zoomgrooms work wonders to help get rid of shedding coat, without the damaging effects stripping knives or even slickers can have on the coat. Spritz the dog all over, rub the spray in, let set for a bit, and go to work. You can spritz throughout grooming, to limit how 'fly away' the shedding coat is...tehehe.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked out the B2B Demat with the AntiStat, defiantly going to give that a try. (Especially seeing how you said it won't be greasy afterwords. I was concerned about that.) As for the Zoomgroom, I googled that as well and .... it looks like a bath scrubber to me. I had one similar to it and that's what I always used it for. I've never used it to brush out my dogs. Though I haven't tried it for that reason, I don't see how it would help much. Now the rubber curry brush looked different than what I've used.

Tomorrow, I'm going to look at different combs for Toehuntai's neck and tail. I'll need something that will penetrate deep enough. His neck, ears, and tail will matt easily and fast. So I made a habbit of back raking with my hand and then using the slicker brush on sections/patches, trying to ensure no oportunity for matts. ...So perhaps I was using the slicker too much ... sorry. :eek: I've become a Slickerholic! :eek: I knew the slicker can just glide over matts so I would sit there working bit by bit. (My dogs are VERY patient during grooming, lol.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts