Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think your lab is at a healthy weight. I have a 6 month old lab, and she is very lanky (all legs) right now, and that's fine. I cannot see her ribs or spine, but I can feel her ribs under a thin layer of fat, and she has an abdominal tuck (indent). She is at an ideal weight and growing at a good pace. You don't want them to grow too fast, as that can cause a lot of problems down the line. Here is a link that should help you monitor whether or not your pup is at an ideal weight for the entirety of it's life:

http://ktk9.com/body_condition_dog.php

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It is nice to see a healthy Lab, they are often over weight, or getting that way!. Your dog looks good and not skinny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks everyone to their kind words!

If he is just over 12kg at 15 weeks then how big do you think he will get when he is fully grown?

Or is it just guess work? Lol

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Conversely that field Lab is on the extreme opposite. I would not put that dog in water with current.
Lacks substance, muscle mass and lung capacity.
Erm, the chest on that dog goes to the elbows. It's a little hard to see because it's black on black, but it does. Plus, shouldn't the coat keep the lab protected in the water, not 20 lbs of fat?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thanks everyone to their kind words!

If he is just over 12kg at 15 weeks then how big do you think he will get when he is fully grown?

Or is it just guess work? Lol
It's hard to say. My vet looked at Nova's bone and joint structure to help predict how large she thought she would get. Nova is 6 months now and weighs around 42 pounds. She's predicted to weigh around 70 pounds when she's fully grown (she's going to be a big girl!). Next time you're at your vet, I would get him/her to have a look at your little man and give you a prediction.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
To add, I think the key thing for a lab puppy is slow and controlled growth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I'm not sure if this thread is still active but as of the moment i have the same concern. Here are some pictures of my 15-weeks old puppy.
20200729_002704 (1).jpg 20200730_160125.jpg 20200729_194330.jpg

I'm not sure if he's too thin or something. His parents are both half-Lab and half-GoldenRet.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.