Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kinda is currently eating 450g of applaws dry dog food a day.

http://www.applaws.co.uk/ingredients/dog_dry/dog_dry_smlmed_chick.php

If I try to feed him more he gets the runny bum. I will be switching to skinners dog food after this food has gone.

He weighs just over 12kg at 15 weeks old. Is this ok? He is lanky!

Here are a couple pics (The last one I added because I thought it was sweet)

Attachments

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
He looks perfect! Labs aren't *supposed* to be rotund; that's just what you see in the general public and even sometimes the show ring, but it's not healthy.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
He looks fine! The general guideline is that you should be able to feel but not see his ribs. When he's standing up, look at him from the side. His tummy should tuck up. From the top, his sides should go in between his last rib and his hips.

Here's a working lab.

Often show labs are bred to be big and bulky, and I've heard that once their show career is done they may lose 20+ lbs.

[pics from http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2010/12/lab-or-flab.html]

Like with people, it's much harder on their bodies to be overweight and bulky. It's harder on their joints, their heart, and predisposes them to conditions like diabetes and arthritis.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
That show lab doesn't even look like a lab! It looks like a... mastiff or something. I definitely prefer working breeds over the show breed in almost all cases. Especially German Shepherds! But, I agree, he looks just fine! There was a GSD puppy at work the other day, and I thought he looked so skinny and lanky and asked about it. Someone told me a lot of breeds go through a stage in puppy hood where they look and even move awkwardly.

·
Registered
513 Posts
From what I can see, he doesn't look too thin. A standing side shot would have been better, though.

He looks fine! The general guideline is that you should be able to feel but not see his ribs. When he's standing up, look at him from the side. His tummy should tuck up. From the top, his sides should go in between his last rib and his hips.

Here's a working lab.

Often show labs are bred to be big and bulky, and I've heard that once their show career is done they may lose 20+ lbs.

Like with people, it's much harder on their bodies to be overweight and bulky. It's harder on their joints, their heart, and predisposes them to conditions like diabetes and arthritis.
Wow. Doesn't even look like the same breed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your pup looks great!

In comparison, this was Dio around 15 weeks:

This was him in 2012:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

Here's a working lab.

That bottom dog looks like some pictures of St. Bernard/black lab crosses I've seen! o_O

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've noticed show bred labs are starting to look more and more mastiffy. I'd prefer working line, no way I'd get a show bred one.

Your puppy doesn't look overweight :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
There are some more moderate show labs too. I know a few that are lovely. And there's the opposite- working labs that are stockier. Our field lab was pretty stocky for a field dog. Yeah it's a trend but it's not so cut and dried.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
I went looking to see if I could find pictures illustrating the difference between show and working condition for rat terriers. Couldn't find them, because apparently it's not so extreme as in labs. Given how new the breed is, it makes perfect sense. I did, however, find this.

and stopped looking because i was horrified.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I went looking to see if I could find pictures illustrating the difference between show and working condition for rat terriers. Couldn't find them, because apparently it's not so extreme as in labs. Given how new the breed is, it makes perfect sense. I did, however, find this.

Eeeek!!!! That poor dog is going to explode! :/

·
Registered
272 Posts

I refuse to believe that that isn't photoshopped. Nope, not real, cannot be. Lalalalala.

It was actually shocking to see a non-obese lab at the park the other day. There are so many ridiculously fat ones waddling around out there, it's nice to see a lean one. Keep yours lean and fit and healthy!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Puppies are also going to be much more lanky than an adult dog.. a Lab probably wouldn't "fill out" until they're 2 or 3 years old.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts

Here's a working lab.

That SHOW Lab is overweight by 20 pounds. Even for a show Lab

This is our pup's mom... Which is typical for a show bitch.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Conversely that field Lab is on the extreme opposite. I would not put that dog in water with current.
Lacks substance, muscle mass and lung capacity.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Conversely that field Lab is on the extreme opposite. I would not put that dog in water with current.
Lacks substance, muscle mass and lung capacity.
I'm. Not seeing any difference in the ribcage and therefore lung capacity on the show dog and the picture you posted of Keely's mom? I mean in bulk/weight, yes, even muscle mass, but not in the structure/chest depth, which is actually where the lung capacity's at, right?

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I'm. Not seeing any difference in the ribcage and therefore lung capacity on the show dog and the picture you posted of Keely's mom? I mean in bulk/weight, yes, even muscle mass, but not in the structure/chest depth, which is actually where the lung capacity's at, right?

I was talking the lung capacity of the field lab. While photos can be deceiving, lack of depth of chest was the first thing I noticed on that field lab.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
I was talking the lung capacity of the field lab. While photos can be deceiving, lack of depth of chest was the first thing I noticed on that field lab.
I'll give it a closer look on a better monitor when I'm awake and see if I can spot it. I suspect the glossy coat on the picture you're posting is obscuring body markers or I'm just too danged sleepy to notice. Or it's the monitor, like I said. What I've got now, they look proportionally about the same chest to everything else ratio, but I'm more than willing to take your word for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.