Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it harmful to give my puppy table foods every once in a while. Because my last little dog I had, always ate table foods, (not my fault, the dog sitter) and she was constantly having stomach issues, so should I just not give my dog any at all..just give him his dog food and little snack..etc.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I will sometimes give mine a small treat of a bite of meat or a carrot or a couple of blueberries. I wouldn't replace a whole meal with table food, but a small treat here or there won't hurt a dog. Just make sure you never feed onions, chocolate, coffee, grapes, raisins, or macadamia nuts. There are other people foods that are bad for dogs, too, so do some research before you give anything out of the ordinary. :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is a good site with a list of toxic foods and plants and much more ... www.peteducation.com

There are many useful articles on dogs from a-z

High fat foods, greasy people food, and salt, are very hard on a dogs pancreas .... be careful when feeding table scraps. They can lead to digestive issues in some dogs who may already be prone to these types of problems.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I agree with the others, not horrible, but you have to be very careful what you are giving. I would also suggest being careful where and when you give a table scrap.....if you give them often right from the table your puppy will get the idea that hanging around your feet at the table, maybe even pawing at you is going to get them something good. Begging is an annoying habit, I would suggest using it as a treat for behaving properly while the humans are eating, and give the treat on their mat, in their crate, or bowl or even just at a reasonable distance from the table.
One thing we do sometimes is give the dog our dish to lick (pre rinse!) after we are done if she has behaved really well, and maybe leave a choice piece or two for her. BUT doing that we're very careful what was on the plate....no onions, chocolate etc (check the list abbylynn posted, you'll get the idea).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Also remember the size of your dog. Max gets about 1/4 the food a day I do so a treat for him needs to be 1/4 the size I would get and reduce the amount of food fed that day by those calories as well. Too much food was likely at least the starting point for your other dog's sensitive stomach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts