Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Is it true that Chihuahuas shouldn't eat beef??

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mizbri 
#1 ·
The breeder (I use this term loosely, he wasn't so much a breeder as a guy who's dogs kept having puppies) who gave me my Chihuahua from told me to NEVER feed her beef. He said the hormones in beef would make her grow unnaturally. He also told me to limit her food intake to keep her small. Well, I didn't limit her food intake and she is a healthy 8 pound, strong, muscular dog...not a whimpy skeleton like his dogs. Have you heard of this? Not feeding Chihuahuas beef??

Thanks!

Discussion starter · #3 ·
No, that's ridiculous. And if he's deliberately stunting his dogs' growth by withholding food (or by any other means), someone should report him to animal control.
Is that what he's doing? Stunting them? Wow! Makes sense why his dogs are so tiny and mine is so strong and robust. Sheesh!

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well, you should limit a Chihuahua's food intake to prevent them from becoming obese. It's pretty sad to see 12+ pounds of dog on a 6 pound frame. That said, you can feed beef or other meat in reasonable quantities and you shouldn't have a problem.

8 pounds is certainly big for a Chihuahua since the breed standard is 6 pounds max. However, there are some pure bred Chis that don't meet the standard due to 'bad' genetics and sometimes mixes that will be bigger. Our pup is 6 months old and she's 7.5 pounds. Since she was a rescue we don't know her background but she may be a Chi and Italian Greyhound mix, given her thin and athletic physique.
Yes, I wasn't looking for a champion dog, just a cuddle buddy. Her genetics are pretty much all over the map, she's pure Chi as far as I know, just a big girl. Her mother was quite large too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.