Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we brought home our new puppy on Tuesday and she has been a blessing. However it feels like when we're home she always seems so bored, or sad? She has adjusted to us quite well, and seems to be picking up on stuff really quickly. We have yet to have an accident (though I know it's still soon). But like I said she seems so bored and sad, come bed time she cries. We ignore it because we know it's for attention. But when we took her to play with her -now new friend- OJ was the most I've seen her personality come out since we've got her. She was actually happy and playful. Where we got her from she had TONS of friends so it's no doubt in my mind that she's lonely. We can't even be in a different room out of sight without her crying. I've been debating getting her a friend, maybe from the same place we got her? But it be too soon for another puppy?

Edit: Just to add in, we did register into some puppy play classes and some puppy classes starting Saturday, hoping to get her socialize and get some puppy friends!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How old is she? You don't want to expose her to unvaccinated dogs or puppies that aren't fully vaccinated (all 3 sets of shots...usually received by 14 weeks or so.), as she could get Parvo or Distemper. Both can be fatal, and Distemper almost always is. It can take a couple of weeks for a puppy to adjust to a new home.

It's not usually recommended that you get a new puppy until the other is an adult that is trained. If you absolutely HAVE to get her a friend, get her an adult dog that is very socialized of the opposite sex. One that has been in foster care, or from a breeder that is retired from showing, preferably, so you can learn from the foster/owner it's habits, that it's housebroken, and gets along well with puppies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is she? You don't want to expose her to unvaccinated dogs or puppies that aren't fully vaccinated (all 3 sets of shots...usually received by 14 weeks or so.), as she could get Parvo or Distemper. Both can be fatal, and Distemper almost always is.
She turned 3 months old on the 15th. She just had her 2nd set of shots on the 11th. So even then it's still not a good idea? The class said that the puppies must have their first set of shots at least. But is that not enough? I have never done classes with any of my other dogs, so I am a little new to it. So far the only dog she has played with is a family members 9 week old Dachshund. Someone who is a puppy I trust.
The plan I had on if we got a new puppy is we were going to get her brother or sister from where we got her, in hopes of some comfort.
When getting an older dog, what is the reasoning for having it the opposite gender?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Avoid a sibling. That is a known situation that causes problems. The reason for an opposite sex dog, is that often, female/female fights can be very serious. Where a male will fight for dominance, and one will submit, females will sometimes fight to the death. The reason for getting an older dog, is that you don't want to be trying to raise 2 puppies. They will learn bad habits from each other and bond more closely with each other than with you.

Personally, I'd avoid having her around any dogs that aren't fully vaccinated. But I also lost a dog to Distemper. And my dog WAS vaccinated, yet still got it, so I'm a little overprotective now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts