Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is a month and a half since my beautiful Westie Max left to go to the bridge aged just 3 years. Whilst there isn't a single day that goes by where he is not in my thoughts I have started to think about the possibility of sharing our home with another dog in the not too distant future. My question is how will I know when the time is right? my family have always loved Westies but would it be strange having a dog of the same breed around the house again? I don't want to disrespect Max.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss :( maybe a different breed would be better if you think it would be wrong to have another westie. There are so many breeds out there and I'm sure there is another breed that would fit in your life. If you think you're ready to have another dog, then you might be ready but the only person that could tell you if your ready is you. If you have specific things like how much you are going to exercise the dog/shedding/drooling/grooming and things like that (we'll need more if you can think of any that you would like in a dog) then we would be happy to suggest breeds for you. but in the end it's your decision.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So sorry you lost max!
I think another Westie will remind you of all the wonderful Westie manners and he/ she will steal your heart no matter how little you think you are ready for that....start looking and it will happen just right!
I have a five yr old Westie and she was getting lazy so I thought if there is a rescue Westie out there I would consider it as a companion and guess what, a rescue Westie puppy popped up and she has enhanced our life tremendously and is keeping the older one amused all day! Good luck to you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
taboo,
I had to put down my 15 1/2 year old Bubba June 3rd and yeah, I miss him a lot like you do your dog. He was a german shepherd mix and there are not a lot of dogs who look exactly like him. I have been looking at dogs at our local Human Society and searching dog breeds online and reading forums in hopes that I will have another dog soon and find the right breed for my life style. I'm not ready yet but I am planning for the day that I will be. I wouldn't worry about disrespecting Max if you got another Westie because the new dog will have it's own personality.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
My niece waited a week before getting a new puppy. When my dog died, I planned to wait 3 mos, then after 2 weeks, wanted to "just Look" ... at the puppies :) [Yeah, Right!]

So, my suggestion is that you write down what you want, Breeder puppy, Rescue puppy, rescue adult, etc. Then, tell yourself that you're "just looking" and see what kind of options are out there :) You sound like you're ready....

·
Registered
105 Posts
When my dachshund, Nicky, passed in mid nov 2010, it was a shock, so it took me a bit to get over. About a month after it happened I was getting even more sad and couldn't stop thinking about what had happened, so that was when I started looking for another pup. I had to pull myself out of my self imposed depression. So I got my new little live wire at the end of jan 2011, so 2 and a half months. I decided I didn't want another dachsie so I went with a min pin, eventually I will probably get another dachsie.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't think getting another dog would be disrespectful to your dogs memory. If anything, getting another dog to give the same love and care to is a good thing. But only if you're ready. It wouldn't be fair to the new dog if you got it expecting it to be the same as your old dog, or if you just got it out of lonely impulse. You're the only one who really knows if you (and your family) will be ready and receptive to a new addition. You'll have to be very honest with yourself about your motivations.

As for a new breed, that depends a lot on your living situation. Do you have kids, live in a house/apartment, exercise dedication, etc. I see nothing wrong with getting another Westie if that's what everyone's comfortable with, but there's nothing wrong with getting a new breed that you've thoroughly researched and feel is a right for your family.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Every person heals differently. A couple years ago now (still seems like yesterday really..) we had to put down our terrier/wheaten mix. My mom and I were both completely heart broken.
I automatically wanted another pet to give a home to. A rescue, who needed a good home. If my bubby had to leave, then I should give someone a home who needed it. It helped me grieve having a new baby to tend to and care for. I ended up with my cat Janice, who showed up on my door step. Then Tucker, who came to me through a family with an oops litter.
My mom on the other hand, was so devastated by the loss that she can't bare to have another dog. I got her a kitten a few months after, who she loves dearly, but nothing will ever fill that hole. And she wouldn't be able to put another so beloved pet down. She still cries over it.

So just because you want another pet because you miss having that aspect in your life doesn't dishonor him whatsoever. It may just help you heal, and you could even give a pet a great home who really needs it. I think Max would be happy to share your love, regardless of breed or species.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I waited 2 weeks before looking for another dog after Muggsy died. I deliberately looked for a different looking dog. I didn't want to be unfair to the new dog, expecting him to be Muggsy II. I know lots of people get the same breed over and over again, I just don't know how they do it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good luck!!

Everyone heals differently. When we had to have two of our senior dogs put to sleep the same day a couple years ago I told my husband ON THE WAY HOME that I wanted a puppy. I was sobbing so loud that he couldn't even understand what I was saying and when he did he looked at me like I was crazy. We did wait a few months but only because we had another senior dog at home who we wanted to spend lots of time with to help adjust.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So sorry for your loss :( Good luck "looking" at the new puppy ;) We had to put down our almost 14yo Eskie in early June. It was devastating for both of us. I started "just looking" after about a week. On June 22, we brought Bea (a sweet, anxiety-ridden rescue) into our home and we can't imagine our home without her. She certainly helped us get through the loss. I'm not sure if she needed us more or we needed her.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Good luck with the new puppy you are going to visit! Just make sure the new one is from a reputable breeder. It can be tempting to go with the first dog who comes along when you are grieving, but you don't want to compromise on the health and temperament of your new pup.

My family had the same breed for 30 years, so to me it's normal to get the same breed after a dog has passed on. According to my mom, the second male we had was extremely similar to their first male. We always joked that he was reincarnated. There was a comfort to having a dog with so many similarities to the dog we loved, but with his own personality too. It didn't take away from either dog. The females were also fairly similar to each other, but we loved them all as individuals.

My husband's family has had 3 dogs, all completely different breeds/types. He finds it weird to get the same breed once a dog has passed, or one that looks too similar. Since Welshies only come in one color and look very similar to each other, he's going to have to get over that because I plan to have many more ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The puppy "Charlie" is a delight, yes the looking was not enough. I did suffer some guilt and sadness at the thought of Max but Charlie is filling my day. I was very careful with the dog we chose, I saw mum and dad and siblings, neither parent had any apparent defect and the dad has good bloodlines with several champions so I hope this gives us a better chance. Anyway I forget how much having a puppy is like having a new baby, he managed 5 hours sleep before he was up crying, poor mite, I am gradually getting him used to being separated from us.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Awww congrats! :D That made me smile!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh wonderful! Congratulations, Taboo! Max has to be wagging his tail and running in joyful circles over the Rainbow Bridge, knowing that the heart and hearth he knows and loves so well found room for another puppy. Enjoy, enjoy!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Aw, so exciting and all consuming! Enjoy, it goes by so fast! Mine is 10 month old and hardly as puppy traits anymore...totally housebroken and s well behaved, we were lucky with this little rescue girl!

·
Registered
409 Posts
The puppy "Charlie" is a delight, yes the looking was not enough. I did suffer some guilt and sadness at the thought of Max but Charlie is filling my day. I was very careful with the dog we chose, I saw mum and dad and siblings, neither parent had any apparent defect and the dad has good bloodlines with several champions so I hope this gives us a better chance. Anyway I forget how much having a puppy is like having a new baby, he managed 5 hours sleep before he was up crying, poor mite, I am gradually getting him used to being separated from us.
Pictures, PLEAAAAZE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.