Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog will be 17 in a few weeks. He has suffered from either seizures or strokes for about a year now. He will lose control of his hind end and just fall over. He has been able to recover reasonable well from most of them until this point. However, last Monday he had a whole bunch and then on Wednesday he had more. My mom came home from work to find him not able to move and couldn't lift his head. Took him to the vet on Thursday. He was put on anti-seizure medicine and antibiotics because he has an infection. He is schedule to go back 10 after. Since then he has improved and is able to stand but can't go up and down stairs on his own and can only walk on the carpet without falling down. My brother and I are both planning on going home for some amount of time this weekend as we are both away from home. All of this I have been told by my mom who has been caring for him this entire time. I am wandering if it might be about time for us to let go. I have come to terms with this but I don't know about my mom and brother. Also, does the just falling down sound more like a stroke or seizures? Thanks for you help in advance!!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can you talk to the vet that is treating him to see what he thinks? It might help.
With that said, I'd rather put one down a week too early than a day too late. I just don't want to see a beloved pet suffer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said I am not at home and havent been there at all in about a month. I dont think my mom talked to the vet about it when she went in. I think they wanted to wait the 10 days to see if there was improvement because like I said he usually recovers really fast. From what I have heard it doesnt sound like he is not eating or anything. He didnt eat for over 24 hours right after it happened but I think it was because of lack of energy. But he started eating and has been ever since from what I know. I will have to ask my mom to make sure tomorrow when I call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to my mom today and she said that he is eating and seems to be himself just cant move around that well. She is having to help him get around the house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts