Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 16 year old Dalmatian. She is on medications for her kidneys and breathing. Overall her labs from the vet look okay, considering her age. She has weak hind quarters, and can't walk well on wood floors. She has accidents with pooping in the house some days, but does not pee in the house. Her appetite has gotten to the point where she is getting human food because she refuses most foods. She is mostly blind and has some hearing loss. She does spin in circles and will get lost at times, which leads us to block off the stairs.

On the positive side she still gets up and walks around. She has the look of the will to live in her eyes. The old girl even goes for 5 walks a day and enjoys every minute of it. She still loves being scratched and given cookies at the end of the day. She still asks to go outside and will stop in the breeze to stick her nose up and smell all of the good scents floating around. She is the love of my entire family, which is why I ask, from an outsiders point of view, is it time for my dog to stop having to deal with the bad days? I still see life left in her eyes and have had her her whole life. Any advice or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is something that only you and your family can determine when the time has come for your beloved.
As far as encouraging,IMO if she is still up and walking and enjoying her life then I would have to wait.If she gets down,can't walk and you know when she is truly suffering then you will know and make that decision.

Sounds like she has had a great life and a wonderful family to love her and was able to live 16 years,some don't get thet lucky.Hug her everyday and you will know when its time.

(((()))))hugs out to you and your family.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Usually I pick 3 things they enjoy and when they can no longer do 2 of them, I start thinking it might be time.
Can you put area rugs down to help with her slipping? Or buy that stuff you put on their pads to give them grip? make sure nails are cut and hair between pads is trimmed to improve traction.

try putting the food on a raised surface. Sometimes neck arthritis makes bending over painful. The reason they'll eat people food then, is only because it is SOOO good, they'll put up with pain, in order to eat it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the thoughts and advice.

We currently have area rugs all over the house. As for the eating she was never the dog that ate too much. She was always free fed. Now she actually denies human foods quite often but then accepts a different type of food. It is a guess every night to what she will eat and usually involves trying many different things (hamburgers, roast beef sandwich, whatever she will eat) Yes she does eat better than all of us!

For now we are pretty much keeping her happy with what she wants. I hope the day comes where I can see it in her eyes that she is done and has had an amazing life. This is hands down the hardest decision i've ever had to face.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It is a hard decision to make. In a way, a dog getting dramatically ill quickly is easier, in that you're not second guessing that decision. To me, it sounds like this dog still enjoys life, she just has a hard time with a few things. Once there's nothing left she enjoys, I think you'll know it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will know, and never second guess your choice when the time comes. No one loves your dog more than you and wants better for her than you do - when you know the time has come, you will not be wrong. Sounds like she has more joy than difficulties in life right now though :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I always tell people it is you that has to live with the choice. You know when your dog has lost its spark. and you have to live with the choice if you were not sure about it then you may have to live with a "what if" but from having to put peoples beloved pets down on a day to day basis, there is a spark that is there one day and just gone when its time. and until it happens its hard to explain. but everyone tells me the same thing that will to live the special spark of happiness all dogs have just fades.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts