Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My boyfriend and I own an eight month old male Pomeranian named Yogi who barks excessively when left alone in a room while in his crate. He is fine in his crate when either myself or my boyfriend are in the room with him, but the moment we step out, whether it be to leave the house or to simply go to the kitchen (which is downstairs), he barks non-stop! He also wakes up instantly, regardless of how deep of a sleep he's in, when sudden movements or when the door is opened while he's asleep.

We do our best to ignore the barking for the sake of not reinforcing the behavior, but seeing as my house is a townhouse, it's simply harder to do when I leave the house at night. It's also bothersome when the boyfriend and I are spending some time downstairs and he is upstairs, in his crate, creating noise pollution. When his barking does subside, in an attempt to enforce his silence, we give him a treat and praise him. However, regardless of how many times we do this, the next moment we leave the room he's back to being a nuisance.

He also has a problem barking at my family (who live in the house and he sees on a daily basis) when we are alone in the room and someone knocks on the door. He silences for the most part, but still makes low, brief, growling, almost hushed barks. Is he just being protective? My parents have noted that he can be mostly quiet after I'm gone for a long period of time and will only bark when needed to be let out to potty. However, I've noticed that he does start to bark again once he's noticed I've come back home.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could resolve this issue? I'm not too sure what's the cause, really. We do our best to play with him before we leave during the day, or even leave yummy treats for him to be occupied with while we're gone, but it doesn't matter. He acts as if he's not tired at all no matter how long we play with him and the treats (even if it's a delicious bone) goes unnoticed. I really wish I could leave him with confidence knowing that he won't be in such distress while he's alone and won't bother our neighbors.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
From your description it sounds like barking for attention, not enough exercise (he should be getting walks of 1-5 miles a day depending on his conditioning), not enough mental stimulation and perhaps some low confidence.
I'd opt for more walks and work on basic obedience commands...that takes care of the physical stimulation, mental stimulation and fills the need for your attention. That leaves the confidence issue and at the age of eight months (still a puppy) that's a long term goal. As he matures he'll learn that being alone is OK but, for now, he has a strong need to be close to you. When possible, have him with you when you're home instead of crating him. That's the time to give him a bone where he can watch what's going on contentedly.
The barking is for attention (crated upstairs/alone/afraid/banished from the rest of the pack) and alert barking (people/noises). You can solve the first one. The alert barking takes more work. He barks an alert and you or your BF have to investigate. He did his part now, you have to do yours by confronting the 'problem' by getting between him and the 'intruder'. That lets him know that his job is done.....if you don't come to the rescue (so to speak)...he just keeps barking. You thank him for the alert and use your Quiet or Thats Enough command.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts