Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to move to a house with an inground pool and before I let my dog jump in once it's open for summer, I wanted to know if it is safe for him to swim in it most day's or limit his swimming. It will be a chlorine pool but once we get some money together will change it to salt water.

He loves the water soo much so it will be hard to train him not to go in unless he's told to. As soon as he smells the water he is in it!!

We are getting a fence installed around the pool even though there is a fence around the garden. So if we are not there he can't get in as we have 2 small kids and would not want to risk their lives either.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
As long as he's supervised, I don't see any reason not to let your dog enjoy the pool too.

Once caveat though........ too much chlorine can dry out his skin and coat so you might want to rinse him off when he's done swimming for the day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that!! I'll have to slowly introduce the hose as he's scared of it! He gets oil in his food as the cold weather here has been drying his skin so i'll keep that up!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Thanks for that!! I'll have to slowly introduce the hose as he's scared of it! He gets oil in his food as the cold weather here has been drying his skin so i'll keep that up!
The oil will help but just like chlorine can dry out human skin.. it will dry out your pup's too so yeah... get him used to the hose or the shower... anything to rinse him off.

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
Even if your dog swims enthusiastically at a beach, don't be surprised if he is reluctant to jump into a pool, where there is no obvious means of escape.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and my DH informed me that he doesn't want the dog in the pool if he is going to swim in it. Should have told him don't swim in it then, but i wasn't quick witted at the time.

If (i'll call him mine at the moment) my dog doesn't want to go in (once i've presuaded other half) i'm not going to push it. I'm sure he will in his own time, especially if he sees the kids and me in. As he doesn't like being inside when they are playing outside. Time will tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts