Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To train an older dog? LOBO seems to understand to go outside. But doesn't tell me. I caught him peein and I said no! and he stopped, then I took him outside and he went. But I am worried that he will never learn to tell me. I need to get him neutered too. He likes to go on everything. Maybe I am expecting too much after one day.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
One day under the new rules isn't enough. They start to tell you when they fully understand that going in the house is wrong. One of the first signs is peeing near the door...they're starting to get the idea they should be going outside.

In the meantime, you cannot miss any accidents...you have to catch him everytime.
If you don't catch him, he gets rewarded (emptying the bladder is a big self-reward) for going in the house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! He is doing pretty good. i didn't expect him to know in just a day except that iw as told he was house trained. However, he has been in a shelter for 7 months. I will make sure to keep an eye out. I am just happy he can be taught to go outside.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
But, yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Just today, I learned something new.

Seriously, one of the quickest studies I've ever worked with was a lab we adopted at five years old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol! youre funny.

well so far he is doing good. He hasnt ate here at home yet. But I think it may just be stress from being in a new place. But he pooped outside before we brought him inside. And I just took him for a walk and he peed. So he is doing okay. Only two mishaps on the carpet but so far so good.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Don't give him any freedom in the house until you're sure he's housebroken. I've learned more about dogs period from my old dog. I think he's taught me more than I've succeeded in teaching him. How old is your dog?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks! Lobo is about 4 years old. The animal control ladies werent really sure. I am takin him to his first vet appt tomorrow. I put his pictures in the picture forum if ya wanna see what he looks like.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
when he goes outside, praise him profusely and include food rewards. Be right with him when he goes. Food rewards need to be doggy delectable... like tiny bits of hot dog o0r steak.. Size of the bit of food is not as important as quality. I use bits that are about 1/2 dime sized.

When he pees or poops say the word. I say pee and Crap.. and have for two years now and have a dog who will pee on command and, if I time it right, crap on command too...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when he goes outside, praise him profusely and include food rewards. Be right with him when he goes. Food rewards need to be doggy delectable... like tiny bits of hot dog o0r steak.. Size of the bit of food is not as important as quality. I use bits that are about 1/2 dime sized.

When he pees or poops say the word. I say pee and Crap.. and have for two years now and have a dog who will pee on command and, if I time it right, crap on command too...
lol that awesome! thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts