Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A question for the experienced dog owners here.

Is it possible to handle minor medical problems at home, without a trip to the veterinarian? We have a 7 year old golden who is mostly quite healthy, but comes up with minor issues occasionally.

Here are some of the things I want to ask about.
  1. He gets occasional colitis - with mucous in stools, and an urge to eat grass.. The doctor just prescribes him bland diet and some medication for colitis.

2. He has a pimple like bump on his back. It may be a bit of local bacterial infection.
Can we handle this at home? Should we?

Can you suggest any remedies for the above mentioned things?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
A lot of minor medical issues can be treated at home, the problem is that it can be hard for some new owners to tell the difference between minor and potentially severe. For example, one bout of vomiting might not be an issue, but two or three is usually worth seeing a vet. When in doubt, seek veterinary advice, and if/when it turns out to be a minor issue, then I try to think of it as a learning opportunity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you suggest any remedies for the above mentioned things? Colitis and sebacious cyst.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
If your dog has had colitis before, I would just repeat the treatment your vet recommended. Treatment for sebaceous cysts really depends on the cyst. Some resolve on their own, they can become infected and develop into abscesses, which are bad news. Best to get your vet's advice on that one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
An old school vet gave me this handout when June had a terrible bout of very bloody/mucousy colitis after being on BB food for 2 weeks. The Imodium works GREAT. I used it again when he got a couple of licks of bacon grease. It really helps solidify the poop so that the intestines are not constantly irritated.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

As for the bump, it could be a puppy staph thing, so if it gets worse or doesn't clear up if take him to the vet. June did get the occasional bump on his chin. I'd pop it and put veterycin on it. I love veterycin and well horse resin. Those are my go-to's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Most Vets will help with home remedies. They want you to call and come when you need to. BUt, they understand the time, frustration, and cost if you can handle it.

For simple stool problems, I like a couple of tablespoons of plain, canned pumpkin added to each meal for 3 - 7 days. B/c it is vegetable, it won't hurt the dog, and most dogs like the flavor. But, if you don't see improvement (not cure, just improvement) in 3 days, then you may want to call the vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts