Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new collie has a strange way of lying down. We can't find anything on the Internet about it, and we just wanted to get some opinions. I know that sitting like this is unhealthy for hips/joints in humans, but what about dogs? Is this healthy? She seems to love lying like this, and it's adorable, but we want to discourage it if it could lead to hip/joint/other problems later on in life.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...We're not sure. We just got her about 2 days ago. Her foster mom says she's about 2, but she acts younger. We have a one year old collie who is much more mature, but this one just always wants to play. :p

She may have been abused by her last family--could this be why she still has some puppylike behaviors?

If it's not going to cause any health problems with her, then we will let her lie like that, because she seems content. But we're not sure, because I know that sitting like that in humans isn't good.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My 17 month old dog still lays like that often. I think some dogs just like to. I also know a Golden Retriever that is like 6 years old that lays like that all the time as well.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
All of my dogs have done that.. That was my 16 year olds favorite laying position. Never had any issues with it. I think they just like to cool their bellies on hard surfaces cause they seem to have a smile on their faces when it is done here..:D

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My adult border collie lays like that alot and my others do on occasion. I don't think it's a problem, in fact, I've heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that only dogs with good hips can lay like that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Chase lays like that. He's 5. Ginger lays like a pretty girl with her legs all neatly under her. I'll try to snap a picture.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I always thought it was a corgi thing, I'd seen 2 corgis that did that, and my mixed breed does that, as well, which I always thought might mean she was part corgi, but maybe she's just part collie...I dunno.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My family pup growing up (BC-X) did that for her whole life. No hip problems ever.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have a 3 year old that lays like that occasionally. I also have a 11 month old that ALWAYS lays like that. Even in pet stores he'll lay like that, catches a lot of attention. lol

I don't think it will hurt her. If anything, it'll just make her more limber, lol. Pretty much like how someone starting in gymnastics at a young age is capable of being far more limber than an adult whose never done anything like that before.

Here's the 11 month old, Tj, laying like yours. (In pic he's 5 months old.)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Frog legs! My 10 y/o Beagle ONLY lies like that. The other one lies with her hind legs pointing forward like most other dogs. As far as I know, it's not harmful.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My in-laws' mini-dachs girl lays like that often...I always tell her how unladylike it is! :) But it seems to be more of a girl-thing from the responses here. It must just be comfortable to them somehow!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My adult labrador of about six years lies like this all the time-- I don't know about any possibility of problems, but so far he's been just fine. My other labrador almost never does this-- I think it's just a matter of the dog's preference.

(My lab who does this is a guy, and the other's a girl-- maybe that has something to do with it?)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. Its how your dog is comfy.

My dogs do it all the time, although they are not pups.

Instead of just laying like this she loves to drag herself across the floor (that is what she was doing here). Her mom does that sometimes also.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lol we call that doing the frogger:) Some dogs like to lay like that, doesn't cause any problems that i've seen or heard of!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts