Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very non aggressive Lab/pit mix very sweet never shows aggression and I'd like to keep it that way but he won't play with toys. a trainer at the shelter recommended I teach him tug. is tug a cool game for him to play would it make him more aggressive ?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I use tug all the time with mine. My obedience/performance dogs play tug games all the time.

*looks around* nope, not an agressive dog in sight.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
The belief that tug games make dogs aggressive is an old one, and is false. There are some dogs out there that may not suit it, but as a whole most dogs find it fun and the owners find it a great way to interact with their dogs.
Taught properly, with a good "drop" command already installed and where you control the game (which can even mean the dog "wins" occasionally) it can become an AWESOME reward for your dog.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I play tug with my dogs all the time. They love it and as txcollies said, not an aggressive one in the bunch. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I don't play tug with mine, but that's because he's trained to retrieve and deliver. My guy is so high drive that I just don't want it messing with all my hard work. It's got nothing to do with dominance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't play tug with mine, but that's because he's trained to retrieve and deliver. My guy is so high drive that I just don't want it messing with all my hard work. It's got nothing to do with dominance.
DK loves to play tug with his rope! He'll try to pry it away and he'll let out a playful growl. The important part is to make sure he stops when you tell him to. If I want to end the exercise, I will give him a "Stop" then a "Release".

·
Registered
673 Posts
my soon to be 1 year old Berner was extremely mouthy and nippy pup and is sooo much better now. Tug is her favourite game! and today I was impressed with her. We were playing tug and she accidently got my hand and she never bit down as hard as she does when it's the rope, she immediately knew what she did and smothered me with kisses and licked my hand. Tug is really teaching her bite inhibition

·
Banned
363 Posts
We play tug, he LOVES it. He has to drop on command. And I never let him win. I am, after all, God. God does not loose.

Alternatively, I know someone who trains police dogs. They always make sure the dog, even as a young pup, wins. They want the dog to be over the top confident for when their dog is tugging on something for real.

Another game to play, which is totally instinctive to them is a simple game of chase. Give the dog a toy or rag or ball or something and start chasing him. He'll keep coming back close to you, tempting you, and then darting by you again. Its a great workout but will leave you feeling slow and uncoordinated. For some reason God is not very good at 'Chase'. LOL.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We play tug, he LOVES it. He has to drop on command. And I never let him win. I am, after all, God. God does not loose.

Alternatively, I know someone who trains police dogs. They always make sure the dog, even as a young pup, wins. They want the dog to be over the top confident for when their dog is tugging on something for real.

Another game to play, which is totally instinctive to them is a simple game of chase. Give the dog a toy or rag or ball or something and start chasing him. He'll keep coming back close to you, tempting you, and then darting by you again. Its a great workout but will leave you feeling slow and uncoordinated. For some reason God is not very good at 'Chase'. LOL.
I do this with DK and his jolly ball in the back yard. He'll start running around and stopping, then running away. He'll even start doing cartwheels and lying on his side and let go of the ball. when he sees me coming, he'll grab the ball and run away again. its pretty funny to watch.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I use Tug to build drive and to reward my dog (instead of always using food). I put the tug toy on a rope and flip it around. Atka will jump higher than my head to grab the tug toy out of the air.

I never had trouble with her releasing the toy (if you do, swap food for the toy).

I don't play chase with a toy because I want my dog to retrieve reliably in Obedience. the 'keep away' game in the obedience ring is not a good thing. Besides.. I am old and have a bum knee (two surgeries) so running is a thing of the past for me. :(

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I play tug with mine all the time! Periodically, we practice "drop it" and "fetch" during the game. The reward is getting to tug again! My two love it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Poor Cherokee almost never wins at tug. For having a perfectly ferocious looking mouth, he is very soft. I let him win on purpose sometimes, just to make him feel good ;)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
OMG that video is hilarious!

·
Banned
220 Posts
Maddie is the same breed as yours, so I dont know if it's a Maddie thing or a breed thing. My guess is that it's a Maddie thing.
She'll tug, but she MUCH more enjoys taking it and chewing it. She looks like she's in chew-coma when she does-eyes half closed, almost expect a drool...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts