Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although we don't really have a big issue with leaving her at home(barking wise she only barks for about 5-10 min when we leave), i like to when possible take her with me in the car, normally its when i take the kids to school it's only a few minutes trip but she enjoys the ride, is that ok to take her when ever i can on little adventures in the car or should i be leaving her at home? I don't work and i'm normally home 24/7

·
Registered
693 Posts
as long as its not hot or cold and youre leaving the dog in the car with the windows rolled up....yes.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Lots of people take their dogs with them to run errands. In the case you stated it doesn't sound like you're leaving the dog in the car but just dropping off your children... If the dog likes it why not. As FaithFurMom09 said you do have to be aware of the temps if you plan on leaving the dog in the car. Also, you have to be aware of local laws on pet confinement in a vehicle. In NJ you could get a ticket if Police see a loose pet in the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Zeus goes with me just about anywhere, I only take him when I wont have to leave him in the vehicle, but otherwise my buddy goes everywhere with me.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Sure. I take my dogs on errands all the time. If it's hot I only go to places where I can leave my car running with the A/C on. If it's cooler I just open the windows for them a bit.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Many dogs love riding in the car. Possible problems depend on you climate and your dog's coat and the amount of local animal rights activism. Cars heat up very fast in summer when the sun is out and many dog have been killed by heat exposure in cars; I have never heard of a serious incident where a dog was left in the cold, but there have probably been a few. In some places the danger of hot cars received a lot of publicity, and leaving your dog in the car when you pop in someplace for a quick errand may end up with your dog seized and you being reported to authorities for animal cruelty . . . or some AR vigilante breaking your windows and 'rescuing' you dog.
I still take my dogs in the car . . . but am very careful about doing so in hot weather.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'd try to strike a balance between leaving the dog home alone, sometimes, and taking her with you in the car occasionally. If you're normally home 24/7 and your dog barks for ~10 mins whenever you do leave, you might also need to work on some mild separation issues. Best to nip that now before it possibly gets worse.

You can fake like you're leaving and go just beyond the other side of the door to monitor. Start with a minimal amount of time and gradually work your way up to longer periods where she's calm and quiet. Leaving her at home while you drive the kids could be a good intermediate stage of training, since you're only gone for a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
I think you can over-do it.

My wife takes the dogs nearly everywhere. She insists on keeping an ancient Honda mini-van and calls it the dogmobile. Each time she goes near the door, the dogs go nuts. If she goes for 24 hours without taking them somewhere, one of them (the Whiner-runner named Molly) will stare at her and whine.

And if she DARES to go somewhere without them, we get this:

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I think you can over-do it.

My wife takes the dogs nearly everywhere. She insists on keeping an ancient Honda mini-van and calls it the dogmobile. Each time she goes near the door, the dogs go nuts. If she goes for 24 hours without taking them somewhere, one of them (the Whiner-runner named Molly) will stare at her and whine.
Haha. Mine do that and they only go with me maybe a couple times a week.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Like Petpeeve said I'd worry about NEVER leaving the dog home alone simply because at some point things will come up where it's necessary. You don't want the dog to be upset when you HAVE to they them home alone because you've basically NEVER left them home alone before.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Except in the summer when it is two hot, Remmy and Kris go everywhere with me. If Kris stays at home in bad weather she has to stay in her crate in the house, so she may as well go with me in her crate in the Van and I can let her out for a run if I am gone for any length of time. She is good either way and sometimes I will take all the little dogs with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we was using the crate but it wasnt strong enough for Mimi as i think it was a puppy pen lol, BUT saying that she no longer barks when we leave and yes i do take her with me to get the kids maybe every other day, but she doesnt have a issue staying home, AS LONG as i remember to make sure that there is nothing on the kitchen side lmao she knows out right not to go in the kitchen when we are home but its a whole new story when we leave lol, she also sleeps on our bed now which the wife hates but i think is normal or atleast it always was at my house when i was a kid :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts