Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there!
So yesterday one of my dogs had an upset tummy(my guess she stole some grapes that grow in our garden,because she also had diarrhea full of grape seeds),the last time she vomited was after 12 hours she had breakfast and there still was whole kibble and it still was pretty hard.Shouldn't her tummy be empty at this time?Or at least the kibble should be big and swelled.Maybe she is drinking to little?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,186 Posts
Not to be gross, but I once tried to take medication several hours after an episode of vomiting, then I vomited about an hour after taking the pill and the pill came up completely intact. It wasn't even wet.

Be careful with the grapes, btw. There's some debate about it*, but evidence suggests that grapes and raisins can be dangerous for dogs.



*Some people tell anecdotes of their dogs eating grapes/raisins and being fine. It may be dose dependent, or it may be that some dogs/breeds are more sensitive than others, like with anesthesia or heartworm medication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!
I know grapes and rosins can be dangerous to dogs,I usually don't let her eat them,but she still manages to eat some,looks like yesterday she got too much.I had similar problems with cheries in summer.Dogs loved them and they ate each and everyone they could reach or find,ofcourse they didn't spit the pits so all of them had upset tummies sometimes,despite to the fact that I was trying to stop them from eating them.Thanks God summer is over,we got only apples left,but they don't seem interested in them.

Back to the thread.I wonder if the kibble stays there for so long all the time or just this time.It is just weird.If it digests so slow it basicaly means that the stomach is never empty and never resting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
When I took Toby in for xrays after he'd eaten his collar, the xray showed his tummy was full of food. Food that he'd eaten around 8am... and it was like.. 3pm when he had xrays done.

I think since dogs tend to be fed only twice a day, it slows down their metabolism so they can make the meal last until the next one.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens with people too. I've eaten dinner, gone to bed, and woken up and vomited and had bits of what I'd eaten for dinner come up.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top