Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new mutt Rocko loves to play with my older mutt Jinx... But he gets really nippy to the point where it pisses her off and she'll give him a harder warning bite. Sometimes while he's chasing her around outside his hackles will stand. (she likes for him to chase her)

Rocko isn't much of biter with people or my wife's dogs, just with Jinx once they really start playing... Is he just getting to excited? :confused:

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Just overexcitement. Piloerection (raised hackles) isn't always indicative of aggression...it's a general signal of arousal (excitement, fear, happiness, etc)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sometimes when two of my rotties play things get a little "out of hand" (in my eyes). It sounds like dogs being dogs. It's hard to tell without seeing it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
When dogs play, they practice all the necessary life skills...chase, take-downs, 'kills', sex, dominance/submission. There can be alot of growling, barking, nipping...all part of their socialization. Even the mistake of biting too hard or a misdirected nip are valuable lessons that need to be learned.

Good play is almost always preceded by play bows (invitation to play). You should see role reversals....chaser/chasee, on top then on bottom, etc. Recognizing bully behavior and dogs that don't 'respect' another dogs space/desire to not play or fear is also important.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing that concerns me is when Jinx (sig mutt) will bite him back hard enough for him to start yelping... and I can tell when she's not in the mood to play or what have you. She's much more relaxed than Rocko.. So he gets all crazy with her and she gets pissed. Lately I've just been correcting him when he starts to get a little to wild.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
The older, established dog shouldn't have to put up with too much harrassment and puppies can be a real PITA. If your older girl is getting really cranky (as opposed to just bug off) I would remove the puppy, crate him, go do some training with him, etc so she can take a break. It also helps him learn when is too much.

Corrections are unnecessary, he's not doing anything WRONG per se..he's just amped up, a correction may amp him up even more. Negative punishment is quite effective in these situations, just remove him, leash him up and give him a chance to settle down.

I believe it is really important for everyone's stress levels that the puppy/adult dog dynamic be given time to adapt. For them to develop a good relationship with each other and to learn to respect each other, you have to be the mediator..in time they can be left alone without problems on either end.

CP that video is a perfect example of play for "vocal breeds". LOL...lots of mini play bows, chasing, growling, hip and shoulder bumps, head turns and face fighting...it was cute!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The older, established dog shouldn't have to put up with too much harrassment and puppies can be a real PITA. If your older girl is getting really cranky (as opposed to just bug off) I would remove the puppy, crate him, go do some training with him, etc so she can take a break. It also helps him learn when is too much.

Corrections are unnecessary, he's not doing anything WRONG per se..he's just amped up, a correction may amp him up even more. Negative punishment is quite effective in these situations, just remove him, leash him up and give him a chance to settle down.

I believe it is really important for everyone's stress levels that the puppy/adult dog dynamic be given time to adapt. For them to develop a good relationship with each other and to learn to respect each other, you have to be the mediator..in time they can be left alone without problems on either end.

CP that video is a perfect example of play for "vocal breeds". LOL...lots of mini play bows, chasing, growling, hip and shoulder bumps, head turns and face fighting...it was cute!
Exactly.;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only thing that concerns me is when Jinx (sig mutt) will bite him back hard enough for him to start yelping... and I can tell when she's not in the mood to play or what have you. She's much more relaxed than Rocko.. So he gets all crazy with her and she gets pissed. Lately I've just been correcting him when he starts to get a little to wild.
What's the age difference?

Hershey and I attend puppy playtime religiously at Petco every week and see the tolerance differences that Cracker describes all the time. A couple of the older puppies will give the rambunctious, younger ones a little time to be annoying but then it's a polite, "I'm done, please leave me alone" followed by a, "Buzz off kid, I mean it!!" if the first message is ignored.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Good point Bird dog...I forgot to suggest PUPPY play for the pup! Puppies have those stupid little sharp teeth that do LITTLE DAMAGE for a reason! So they can learn to play gently without accidentally hurting someone...your older girl has ADULT teeth and if she decides to use them, if she is REALLY aggravated there will be a problem. By having some puppy playdates he can get some play in and learn his manners with dogs his size and age.

You don't want any dog to learn to harrass another dog to the point of a bite. One warning snap should be enough to convince another dog to back off, if it doesn't you need to step in. In fact, ideally, a head turn should be enough..but that's advanced communication for a pup.

Puppies can get their yayas out together.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jinx is almost a year and Rocko is a little over 3 months... So I took Rocko for a short bike ride last night. Seemed to really calm him down. :D

That's on top of there 2 mile walk from earlier in the day.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jinx is almost a year and Rocko is a little over 3 months... So I took Rocko for a short bike ride last night. Seemed to really calm him down. :D

That'll do it too. :D

Tire him out a little extra and his play/energy level should be closer to hers.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts

Just a warning here, overexercising a 3 month old is very hard on their developing bones and joints...check with your vet regarding the right amount of exercise for the little one..I would not be biking with the baby, it'll cost his body in the long run.

To tire him out, small episodes of playtime, tug or ball chasing and several mini "training" sessions (five minutes or so each) a day will help to calm him some. Puppies are sometimes hard to tire out and yes exercise is good for that, but overdoing it can be very hazardous.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My pit bull mix likes to play rough, be she only does so with dogs she knows. She's very submissive around most strange dogs when she first meets them. When she was a puppy she would wrestle with my sister's dog, and it could get pretty intense, but nobody ever got hurt.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
CP, that could be Roxxy and Butch. When they both get going, it sounds like they are killing each other; however, when one yips, the other is so concerned! It's really funny sometimes. I actually have to make Roxxy leave poor Butch alone...she loves her Bubba Butch! :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This post was awesome! A month ago we got our little puppy (female border collie sheltie X, now 3 months) and our roommate already had a male 6 month old shitzu. They play JUST like that video- I thought he was trying to kill her when he was growling and rolling around like that! And I held that fear until the next morning when they acted like long seperated lovers that had finally found each other. They are the best of friends, and play like that allllll day long unless the pup decides it is nap time- in which they lay down together and sleep :) thank you for reassuring me that this is just normal puppy play!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My pit bull mix likes to play rough, be she only does so with dogs she knows. She's very submissive around most strange dogs when she first meets them. When she was a puppy she would wrestle with my sister's dog, and it could get pretty intense, but nobody ever got hurt.
That sounds just like Nala. She doesn't like to greet the other dogs, they come to her, and she never wrestles with ones she doesn't know, until she's been around them for a while.

Her hackles also stand up, like the OP said Rocko's do, but I've learned what it looks like when she's actually scared, and not just playing. When playing, just her neck and shoulders are up, but when she is spooked (usually when she sees something off in the distance at night) They go up all the way down to her tail, and her tail goes between her legs.

Elvis does the same snapping thing with Nala too, but she's a bit older, and can dodge it so he rarely gets her to yelp. It's his way of saying "leave me alone" at that point I just take her off somewhere so he can relax. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts