Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't ever remember having a puppy that was this smart, haha. :laugh:

My 14-15 week old puppy already knows sit, stay, lay down, come here, get up, paw, and "other paw" - and can fetch like you read about. She really views it as work. She'll go after the toy, search it out if she can't find it (she's part shepherd), bring it right back naturally (she's part lab) and drop it at my feet at the command "sit".

Is that normal?!

It's kind of amazing, I think. We're not quite sure what else we can teach her right now! She's learning how to walk right and is being socialized well, but we're most impressed with her intelligence.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It sounds like you have a smart girl on your hands :) I remember when Luke was a young pup and I was amazed at how fast he had picked up all of the basic commands. Friends of mine were trying to teach things at six months that he had down at ten weeks lol. I think some pups just pick things up faster than others, and I suppose a lot of it has to do with how much time you spend with them and how focused on you they are. Luke picked up a lot just by being by my side 24/7. The only disadvantage of having such a smart pup is when you work with the next one and they seem to take forever to catch on :p

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yes, it is normal. Keep up the training even though she knows it now. Do it in various areas so she starts to get that the commands mean the same thing in different places. And beware--when she hits 6-8 months, she may forget some or all of these things. Gracie was a smart, smart puppy...but at about 9 months, she decided she no longer knew what sit meant. I had to re-teach, etc.

Have fun with her--sounds like she is eager to learn.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Josie showed me the downside to a smart puppy. When she was little, 2-3 months, she loved training and would listen to me and do whatever I said. Now that she is 5 months, she knows everything and just doesn't care that I have given a command unless there is a treat, for bribing, or a leash so I can make her do it. For example, she will be in on the couch, within reach, I tell her no kitty and she ignores the kitty. She is in the other room, I hear hissing, I say no kitty and nothing changes. Till she hears me get up, then she runs into the room like she was innocent all along.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Keep training the pup, because the more they know, the faster they will learn. Also, start training with voice and hand signals.

@Lena - 5 mos may be going thru teething, regardless it can be the start of adolescence... be patient and consistent, work thru it for a few more months.. she testing the boundaries, try to let her know that the boundaries are solid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks hanksimon, I am very consistent with her and I know it’s just a phase. I actually like that she is independent and that her personality is coming out so well. It’s kind of cute when she tries to get her way but I don’t want a spoiled dog so I grin at her and still make her do what I asked her to. I just miss the old days when she was trapped on the couch and slept an hour for every 15 min she was awake. They grow so fast!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Josie showed me the downside to a smart puppy. When she was little, 2-3 months, she loved training and would listen to me and do whatever I said. Now that she is 5 months, she knows everything and just doesn't care that I have given a command unless there is a treat, for bribing, or a leash so I can make her do it. For example, she will be in on the couch, within reach, I tell her no kitty and she ignores the kitty. She is in the other room, I hear hissing, I say no kitty and nothing changes. Till she hears me get up, then she runs into the room like she was innocent all along.

Sounds about the same as ours! She figured out quickly that if the doesn't "Come" right now, nothing bad happens (and we can't think of any minor correction we can use). Or if she doesn't "sit" right away, nothing bad happens. The worst thing is that it takes an extra second or two to get a treat. I tried not treating her when she did this, but she turned around and took even longer to come the next few times.

Gets rough when our dog seems to be smarter than we are about training lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't ever remember having a puppy that was this smart, haha. :laugh:

My 14-15 week old puppy already knows sit, stay, lay down, come here, get up, paw, and "other paw" - and can fetch like you read about.
My pit/ridgeback mix could do it all by that age, but I got him when he was just under 2 weeks old, so I had a head start. He was found in a box with 8 other puppies being raised by a cat, and when the puppies all started dying of parvo, the family farmed them all out to save them. I bottle fed him every hour, rubbed his belly with a wet cloth to make him go, and so on. He was ringing a bell to go outside at 5 weeks, learned all the basics by 8 weeks, and some extra tricks beyond that. The problem was that I didn't really know what I know now about socializing a puppy, so he never really had an identity as a dog. He was definitely a one person dog, which could make things a little tense when people came over, but I could walk him through the streets in the dead of night and never be afraid of anything. I miss that sense of security.

Binky, on the other hand maxed out at sit, come, down, leave it, and stay. He can also get toys he left in the yard, but not by name, just "get your toy" and if he goes outside and pees, I can send him back to poop on command (this took almost 7 years of effort). I tried for weeks to teach him to catch a treat, fetch a ball, or shake hands. He's not at all smart. Poor guy knocked a pillow sized box across the doorway of the bedroom and trapped himself inside for hours. I'd periodically ask him if he wanted to come out and he'd wag and then look at the box. It wasn't a problem he could solve. LOL. I even tried modeling it for him by jumping over the box, stepping over the box, and walking on top of the box. On the bright side, I can lock him in a room with a piece of masking tape horizontally across a doorway about 10 inches off the floor:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts