Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a German shepherd who is now 3 year old and for some days now we are witnessing a new reflex while he is sleeping and my family think that this reflex might be because of his dream. is it really possible for dogs to dream or this is some sort of medical condition that needs vet's attention.

Me and my family are really worried about this, when he is wake he is totally normal but when he is asleep he makes these weird sound and reflexes it kind of freaks us out.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If your dog has never done it before, I'd at least mention it to my vet, describe it in detail, and get an opinion. In general, yes, it's normal for dogs to dream. Paws may move, they may make some sounds.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Absolutely. My dogs often twitch, kick, growl, bark, (in a muffled way), etc... when sleeping/dreaming.

But, as mentioned above, if the behavior concerns you, maybe send a video to your vet's office & ask their opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, they definitely dream. I can be guaranteed my Great Dane will have dreams after a busy day. If he gets a long walk or does something extra stimulating. Their brains need to process.

·
Banned
166 Posts
Perfectly normal for dogs to dream, some scientists even think goldfish might possibly dream too, although the jury is still out on the latter. Could the dogs sleeping behaviors be medical, thats a question only a qualified vet can answer. Please let us know how things turn out, thanks and good luck...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Brain monitoring studies have shown what observing their sleeping behavior already tells us - dogs have a REM cycle like humans. So yes, they dream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts