Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have got a strange inquiry. The man wants to buy my last Saluki female puppy. He lives in Yukon, Canada with three dogs: one Pit-bull, on Dogo Argentino and one Scottish Deerhound. He is using dog boots and dog jackets and takes his dogs to hunt caribou and mountain lion! As far as I understand, any clothes is nothing but a nuisance to a hunting dog. It adds extra weight, diminishes agility, gets soked in water or melting snow and catching sticks and burs. He wanted the Saluki puppy in October, because the clothes for her will be sawn by then... This is a strange man and I am not enthusiastic. I agree it may be a fun for using on toy breeds.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dressing up a dog isnt for me, cept for maybe Halloween or something like that. But all i seen was ppl talking about boots for winter. What about the hot pavement in Aug in AZ? I was a bus driver for Mesa AZ and a blind man came on the bus with his dog. He was mentioning to someone that the dog wasnt walking right and asked if anything was wrong with him that he could feel. There wasnt. I told the blind man to put his hand on the pavement and see how hot it was, THAT is what his dog was walking on all day! Told him that they had "boots with sand" at a pet store, you wet the sand and it keeps the paws cool. I had the next 2 days off, but when i came back, everyone said that the man was looking for me. He wanted to thank me personally for helping out his dog. Said it only took him a few hrs to get used to the "new shoes" and was very greatful. Made my day!! :)

off the subject-- again. sorry. As far as the thread goes? if it is ok with the dog? why not? just not for me is all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is for ufimych

In my opinion, if you dont feel good about it, dont do it! Strange is a matter of opinion (sp?) (my husband is strange-:evil: ) but if he makes you feel uncomfortable in dealing with live animals. I wouldnt do it. Been there myself and still have a hard time with it. The guilt I feel for the puppies sometimes is unbareable, and this was over 15 yrs ago! Still bothers me. As far as the clothes go, for hunting, maybe just a vest, something bright so you can see the dog. But thats me. I wouldnt sell him my puppy if I had bad feelings about him.

·
Registered
731 Posts
ufimych-

My mastiff used to go hunting and we did put clothes on him. We put shoes so that his paws wouldn't be uncomfortable in the light snow. He wore a jacket in snow, but he wasn't hunting big game, just fowl and it was a special coat made for outdoor activities with much more moveable arm holes and such and waterproof material on the surface. During the summer, I had a colored vest on him so I can see him in the woods and fields. If this guy is hunting large targets, many people put protective vests on the dog. There are dogo argentinas I know that hunt wild boar with bullet proof vests so they do not get injured by the tusks. It's not unusual for hunting dogs actually to wear clothes in harsh weather or use protective gear, but some people choose to let the dogs go without the specialized hunting clothes. I don't see a problem with it, but I'm going by my experiences with hunting.

The bottom line though is it is your dogs and you have all the discretion to whom they go to. You have to feel comfortable with their home. I think if there's things you're unsure about and need clarification on, I think you should talk to him about your concerns. It's the only way to put at ease or confirm your concerns.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lola got her first article of clothing today. It was chilly here today and we were out from 9:15 until 2:30 and she shivered off and on the whole time. I had some errands to run and saw this cute hoodie shirt at Walmart. She actually wore it with no problems. I plan on getting her something warmer for winter because JRT's are prone to being cold.

Attachments

121 - 126 of 126 Posts