Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
It doesn't bother me if people want to dress their dogs up. I'd rather see a dog in clothes getting attention going around town with its owner than left on a tie-out in the backyard.
+1. So long as the dog is not opposing it, some even enjoy it, then what's the harm?

I have a lot of clothes for my girl. Since she's going to wear clothes, might as well be stylish. She actually loves clothes and get excited when she sees them and when she's cold she asks for them by taking me to her closet. Sometimes she will bite the clothes to keep it on if I take it off her. It doesn't snow here, but it doesn't mean she can't get cold as her belly is bald. She has a thin coat and really white skin so in summer I cover her with a shirt to go potty since she gets sunburnt and hot easily.

Passing by me on the street, how would you guys know the stylish clothes don't have a utility? I might just be judged as a pathetic owner who has a dog to dress up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It doesn't bother me if people want to dress their dogs up. I'd rather see a dog in clothes getting attention going around town with its owner than left on a tie-out in the backyard.
This.:clap2:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I think it's just stupid. Whenever I see a small dog with some pink sweater or some shoes, I just shake my head. Dog's don't need shoes!
Sometimes they do. For folks that live in the city and worry about salt on the side walks, or really cold weather for breeds not equipped to deal with the temperature and snow.

Eh, who cares. I'm not into it, but see it as harmless fun for people who are. As long as they're not uncomfortable I sincerely doubt the dogs care.
Yeah right, see how your dogs feel when they are caught in last years Prada.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I think it's just stupid. Whenever I see a small dog with some pink sweater or some shoes, I just shake my head. Dog's don't need shoes!
I would mostly agree with you that dogs don't need shoes. However, I know someone who lives in Alaska with two Yorkies and a Lab... ALL wear booties when it's cold enough. They are all VERY into being outdoors and very active dogs, but their paws would literally freeze without them if they were going out for longer than 15 mins.

Now, if I see a dog on 75 degree perfect weather day dressed in layers of clothes, tennis shoes, sun glasses and being toted around in a stroller, I'm not going to lie and say I don't give an eye roll to myself. Or when people push their dogs into a DOG PARK in frilly dresses and in a stroller (yep, witnessed this once!) then yeah, I think there is a point where it goes overboard.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My 45lb dog has boots. We use them for general winter weather and snowshoeing. We wouldn't make it 15 feet without the boots.
(Walking through the city we Can't make it 15 feet with boots. People love 'em)

Kennedy is getting new boots and an oxford tweed sweater for this winter. Her old coat is so ugly and doesn't show how pretentious she really is. :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I invision getting that look if and when I need to put booties on Jubel for bikejoring. Though if he enjoys the bikejoring and it means he gets to do it I think he'll get over it quickly. We'll see.

Personally I don't see the appeal of dressing up animals. Dogs that can't tolerate the cold in sweaters/coats is fine. Anything else is just 'entertainment' for the owner. If the dog isn't uncomfortable with it I don't see anything expressly wrong about it but it's not my cup of tea to do so.
I agree with you that "Anything else is just entertainment for the owner"! Do dogs have sense of beauty about fabrics? In my opinion, they haven't. A male dog may not fall in love with a female dog because of the clothes she wears, and this would not help them to breed the next generation. But dressing pets up and taking photo for them seems to be fun, and if many people like the photos, the owners would feel satisfied.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I like this picture because you can tell she doesn't give a crap about the shirt she's wearing. All she cares about is keeping an eye on those squirrels outside the window.

I really think it's a wasted effort to worry about dogs being dressed up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rocky has a little coat for the winter months. I plan on getting him some little sweaters, possibly a little hoodie for the colder weather around here. In the warmer months I don't see much of a reason for clothing though he might sport a jersey or two now and then. I also plan on letting the hair on the top of his head grow into a topknot that I can pull back, as when it's short it irritates his little eyes. And yes I might add a cute bow now and then, especially around holidays. I have thought about the boots but I don't think he'd keep them on so I don't plan on investing in those.

I do like looking at doggie clothes. I think it's cute, and if people have dogs that don't mind it and want to do it, good for them. For us though, we will stick to showing off our favorite sports teams on game day and keeping warm in the fall and winter. :)

21 - 40 of 126 Posts