Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of my friends who own a doggie love to dress their pets, is it funny? they even make the clothes by themselves! And I wonder whether the doggie feel comfortable or not. I have ever seen that one of my friends wore shoes for her dog but the lovely animal didn't dare to walk...... How do you think of it??

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it's okay as long as it doesn't hurt the dog. I play around with puting clothes on my dog sometimes. (Though not in the summer.) It's not going to kill him.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think it's sad. That's just me.

I don't mind the occasional ribbon or coats on dogs that need to keep warm, but not outfits. No. Just.. no. There are things in the world already that you can dress up in cute little outfits.. they're called children, or maybe dolls :p

·
Registered
673 Posts
I used to occasionally put my hats on Lu, because she was still new to the family and I was smitten by her cuteness. She didn't mind, just looked at me like this:

Then the puppy came through and destroyed my beautiful hat collection. :rant:

I don't think I'd ever really dress them up though. For one thing, they're too big and rough. For another....it just has no appeal for me. I like my dogs doggy.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I used to occasionally put my hats on Lu, because she was still new to the family and I was smitten by her cuteness. She didn't mind, just looked at me like this:

Then the puppy came through and destroyed my beautiful hat collection. :rant:

I don't think I'd ever really dress them up though. For one thing, they're too big and rough. For another....it just has no appeal for me. I like my dogs doggy.
Now if that ain't a "Whadid I Do To Deserve This?!" look, I don't know what is! ROFL!!!

Bella gives me the same look when I "torture" her with her booties for winter walks. LOL!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I tried to put boots on my one little dog because if he went out in the snow and the temp was too cold he would actually fall down and not get back up! It still did not work with the boots. He really wouldn't even walk with the boots on at all........so I just shoveled a path as close to the ground for him.....spoiled little dog......it's been 5 years and I am still shoveling! Lol! And yes, the two little dogs have winter sweaters.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Now if that ain't a "Whadid I Do To Deserve This?!" look, I don't know what is! ROFL!!!

Bella gives me the same look when I "torture" her with her booties for winter walks. LOL!
I invision getting that look if and when I need to put booties on Jubel for bikejoring. Though if he enjoys the bikejoring and it means he gets to do it I think he'll get over it quickly. We'll see.

Personally I don't see the appeal of dressing up animals. Dogs that can't tolerate the cold in sweaters/coats is fine. Anything else is just 'entertainment' for the owner. If the dog isn't uncomfortable with it I don't see anything expressly wrong about it but it's not my cup of tea to do so.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Willow has boots since the cold and road salt hurts her. She does this show-pony high-step for a minute, and then forgets they are on. She also has quite a bandanna collection, though I haven't bothered her with that since her age started to show, her health started to fail. She enjoyed them for a good number of years though. She also liked her Hallowe'en costume since that means treats. As a general rule, I like my dog to look like a dog though. I don't think there is anything wrong with it if it doesn't hurt or bother the dog. The OP's friend who puts shoes on a dog that then refuses/can't walk is an example of going to far.

Oh Lucy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Aside from things like a bandanna or a bow, I'm against the practice of dressing up dogs. I think it looks silly and robs them of their doggy dignity.

Have you ever seen an old picture from your childhood, and thought to yourself "wow mom....thanks for dressing me in THAT outfit!" That's how I imagine dogs would react, if they were capable of conceptualizing things like "clothing" and "appearance". Since they aren't, I look out for my dogs by not making them look ridiculous.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't see any harm in it for the dogs, but I do have certain opinions about the mental status of people who are really "into" dressing up their pets. :der: An occasional costume or winter coat, sure, but people whose dogs have an outfit for every occasion. . .that's going a little too far.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have coats for both Ozzie and Tyler, and they seem to really like wearing them when its snowing or sleeting out. Tyler also hates the rain, so the coat helps us get out more during the rainy months. They have Red Sox bandanas too, but they only wear those for special occasions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't dress my dog in anything for long periods of time usually just 5-10 minutes for a photo op - a cute Halloween costume, a tie at Christmas, and of course his Red Sox jersey for the start of the season and the playoffs. Otherwise, it's just the occasional bandana.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
For the most part I think it is pretty pathetic on the human's part, except for necessities (cold weather, hot pavement, etc). I don't mind the occasional dress up (Halloween, special occasions) but some people really go overboard and I just find that pathetic.

Dogs have a fur coat for a reason, they don't need clothes. I don't even put a jacket on my guys during winter, as they just don't need it (and they are short coated), they love winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If there's a reason, I don't mind. My corgi mix has a winter coat because she gets cold pretty fast. She tolerates the coat. However, I never bother trying to dress her any time else because she hates it and I'm not going to make her do something she doesn't like to. I used to dress her for pictures, I don't even do that any more. The family Chihuahua actually likes being dressed. She'll run to you when she sees her winter coat or her booties and when you put them on her, she'll run around wagging her tail. It's when the dog is obviously miserable that it bothers me.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't understand people passing judgment on something as harmless as putting clothes on a dog.

Who cares? In all honesty, it does not harm the dog in any way. Dogs are dogs. They have no concept of "dogs don't wear clothes!"

I will put jackets and shirts on Misty because she's tiny and has so little fur on her stomach or she spends the winter a shivering ball of freezing dog. Do I instantly think poorly of someone who has their dog dressed up in a shirt, pants, hat, and shoes? No.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
My small dog won't step foot outside in the winter without boots and a coat on. So she has those, even though we only used them for about a week or two so far. She also has maybe 5 different shirts/sweaters that I do put on her for special occasions. Meeting someone new, holiday get-togethers, etc. Not just to wear around the house for fun though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My small dogs get cold easily, and they do wear coats if they are outside for long periods in the winter. They both have long visor/bangs and sometimes we put them in pigtails. I dress them for fun, such as Halloween and recently for a pet costume contest at a pirate festival. They dont care, in fact I suspect Zoey enjoys it, bc she gets a ton of attention and she loves that a lot:)

when we were camping this summer, the lady camping next to us had a little chihuaha (sp?).Every day it was dressed up in sundresses, and pushed around in a little stroller. That seemed a little odd to me, but the lady very obviously loved her dog very much, the dog was well cared for, the husband told me one day that they special ordered food for their dogs from some gourmet company so they would always have the best of everything (he had a huge german shepard).

I mean, her little dog was still able to run and play, and maybe doing that fulfilled a need in the older womans life. She wasnt hurting the dog in any way. So who cares?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I "dress" him up in the Fall/Winter more. He LOVES playing in the snow but he will over-do it and get himself shivering after 45 minutes-1 hour outside if it's less than, like, 25 degrees and snowy. So I have two really warm jackets for him, and yes, they are "stylish"... lol. Both puffed hoods and one has a skull on it. If I'm gonna put a jacket on him, I'm gonna get a cool one ;) He also has some "light" stuff for really chilly fall nights. I have a few humorous t-shirts for him but he usually only wears shirts on holidays. Overall, he's not really dressed a lot. It's not totally my thing but I can see the appeal in it. He looks adorable in his winter jacket, what can I say? Bonus is that is also keeps him super duper warm. ;) And he is a 'REAL DOG' -- he rolls in mud, he digs holes, he dives in the pool, he lounges in the lake, he runs like crazy at the dog park, he goes for 5+ mile walks, etc. And can I just say I was very anti-dressing-dogs until I got my first small dog.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts