Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately my 1.5-year old mini american eskimo (high-strung, fearful temperament) has taken to peeing whenever my husband calls her over. Just a little bit of pee.

I was thinking she was doing it out of fear (she has always been especially fearful of men) and that he just needs to really practice calling her over and rewarding her with treats (without making eye contact and DEFINITELY without reaching towards her at all) to reinforce that coming to daddy is a GOOD thing... lol..

but after reading a few posts on here i'm wondering if it's not really fear but she's just showing her submission. Is there really a difference? Does it even matter?

Obviously we want her to be submissive. But all of this dribbling is kind of inconvenient- for the first time the other night she did it on the bed when he called her up.

Any thoughts? No, my husband isn't mean to her, in case you were wondering... btw, she hardly ever does it to me. maybe once in a blue moon and only if i reach towards her too quickly.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Dominance does not exist in a dog -> human relationship, so most 'submission' is actually fear.

Has she EVER been hit or yelled at before, by anyone? In any way. Has she ever been punished by the hand or punished when someone calls her to them? This can do it very easily.

Or she could just be fearful. Ultimately, try to ignore the behavior as much as you can. Don't get harsh or loud with her, try not to get frustrated. Do keep treating her and praising her calmly when you guys interact with her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sooo much for those links! it totally explained the behavior. I also get the feeling that it's not too uncommon. hopefully with lots of love and a little behavior modification on our part, she will eventually grow out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts