Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want Sasha to stay off the couch so its a safe place for the little greyhounds to sleep.Im having a huge time keeping her off.She wont get down unless I finally get up off my chair and push her off.
Is this a fair expectation for her.She is going to be big and could hurt them if she jumps up there and stomps on them later on.
Our border collie is not allowed up there either but he never even wants to be up there anyway.
Is there a trick to training her not to get up there other then yelling "down" and pushing her off repeatedly and I mean over and over, then she barks at me like Ive got no right to tell her what to do.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You are certainly not expecting too much out of her to want to keep her off the sofa...

You can think of them as children so-to-speak, like many of us do. : P lol! What one thing for one child is good, the same for another can be bad...

My dog Donatello is allowed on the sofa, but only on the loveseat next to me, that is "his spot", and he knows that even if I'm not home he's not allowed to lay anywhere else but on the blanket in that spot. (That was easier to train, actually.)

I do make him "wait for permission" before jumping on the sofa... But in your case, I heard some people doing this, is every time she jumps on the sofa, you say, "NO. OFF." and take her to "her spot", you can make a small pallet on the floor for her beside the sofa or across the room, and take her to that.

You mentioned that you have to push her off repeatedly, and yelling "down" doesn't really work... Does Sasha know what "down" and "lay down" mean? Are those one of her tricks? Because I had dog that got confused, "down" was the cue for him to 'lay down', but when it came to furniture and we said, "down", he thought we meant, 'lay down' on the furniture! lol! But I would try saying, "No" and leading her to "her spot" and make her "stay" there.

I'm sure others might have some better ideas if this doesn't work for you... : )

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Is there a trick to training her not to get up there other then yelling "down" and pushing her off repeatedly and I mean over and over, then she barks at me like Ive got no right to tell her what to do.
The 'trick' to teaching her is stopping the behavior before it starts.
As you've discovered the OFF command only teaches them to get down when you say so.......that doesn't teach them that they shouldn't be up there in the first place.

You have to stop her BEFORE she gets up there....the moment she's getting ready to jump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts