Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have two pekignese that I purchased from my local petstore. I've been looking online looking for another pekignese to purchase. The problem that I am facing now is that I live up in Alaska (Hardly any breeders or petstores). Is it a very bad idea if I were to purchase a puppy out of state without seeing the puppy and the environment it is currently living in? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've got a couple of dog contacts in Alaska. I KNOW there were Pekes at the last show she was at up there. Want me to see if I can track down a contact for you?

I *have* bought a dog sight unseen and it worked out fine. I know a number of breeders who I would trust to send me a pet-qualtity dog, sight unseen, and who would understand the type of dog I like after doing a lot of talking to me about my living situation and what I look for in a dog. HOWEVER, I'd be extraordinarily careful about it. I'd look for someone who showed, who had lots of references, and who was active on my breed email lists and in the breed clubs. All of those are still no guarantee- but they're a good place to start.

ETA: I also realized I know 4 Peke breeders (none well) but they might be a good place to start, if you'd like their info - PM me your email address. :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Depends where you are purchasing from...there are LOTS of bad breeders online but there are also LOTS of good ones. You have to be able to discern good from bad.
Things you WANT to see:
- health testing
- no more than a few litters per year, if that
- breeds one (maybe two) breeds
- has been active in the breed for a while
- shows or works their dogs (pekingese aren't working dogs, so primarily look for Championship titles in conformation)
- has spay/neuter contract for companion puppies
- has health guarantee

RUN away from sites that:
- use paypal or other direct payment programs
- breeds more than two breeds
- have LOTS of litters year round
- does not have pictures of parents
- do not health test
- do not have spay/neuter contract

And for future reference, do NOT get puppies from petstores. The majority of petstore puppies come from puppymills or backyard breeders that breed for profit rather than to better the breed. This means these puppies often have behavioural and/or health problems and by buying one, you are supporting unethical breeding practices.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I agree with Locke (except that I used paypal to pay for my dogs - I don't know what the problem with that is...) It's the breeder that is important. Both of my bought dogs came to me sight unseen, but the breeder had a very good reputation and did all the health testing. The dogs were shipped here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would.

get to know the breeder, talk on the phone, email. etc.. you will get a good idea of WHO They are. Its usually pretty easy to find someone who has a puppy from the breeder, talk to them about their experience

are they concerned of your home environment? Do they have an applcation? Do they ask you a lot of questions? Do they mind you asking questions? those are all good signs :)
a VERY important thing in my opinion is, will they take the dog back for ANY REASON at ANY TIME if you can't keep it? that shows that they truly care for the dogs they are producing

a website can also be very telling but it also can be VERY tricky. its easy to write down all the right things.. So I would make sure to call if it was me..its a lot harder to lie/answer questions untruthfully over the phone on the spot then when typiing out an email

as stated above, watch out for breeders with WAY too many people, no pictures of parents, no health testing, contracts, and "pay and get your dog" kind of things.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I agree with Locke (except that I used paypal to pay for my dogs - I don't know what the problem with that is...) It's the breeder that is important. Both of my bought dogs came to me sight unseen, but the breeder had a very good reputation and did all the health testing. The dogs were shipped here.
I have seen some very bad breeders on-line who have a "PAY NOW" paypal option on their site.

you fill out a form saying male or female, what color, send them the money, and they ship you a puppy. I think thats the kind of Paypal use she was talking about.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I have seen some very bad breeders on-line who have a "PAY NOW" paypal option on their site.

you fill out a form saying male or female, what color, send them the money, and they ship you a puppy. I think thats the kind of Paypal use she was talking about.
PayPal is a tool, like a leash or a clicker, nothing else, but like those tools it can be misused. I get paid from my regular job via PayPal, because I am a telecommuter and the office is a couple of thousand miles away from me. Because of my familiarity with it, I would be willing to (and probably will), put a "Use PayPal" button, to be used only for the deposits on the puppies I sell from upcoming litters. However, my using a PayPal button for my convenience does not make me any less concerned for the welfare of my puppies, nor would I ever consider forgoing a personal meeting with a puppy buyer except under extraordinary circumstances.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Depends on the breeder.

You purchased from a pet store which means they probably came from a mill or at least a byb. So I wouldn't see the harm in buying online, especially from a good breeder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts