Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mac, my year old terrier shihtzu, humps Josie, my two and a half month old border collie mutt, quite a bit when they are playing. He is fixed, she will be when she is old enough, nobody seems to have hurt feelings over it...is this okay? He doesn't get an erection and it usually only lasts a couple seconds before she knocks him off and they are chasing each other around again, also, I've never seen him to do this to an object or a person, only other dogs. Normal behaviour? Why does he do t? Should I be concerned or discourage it?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes i would, espically if he is doing this to any dog he meets, some dogs do not like this, and something could happen, and cause a fight, i know my bc doesn't not like it, and will growl or a nip a dog that tries, her shih tzu friend tried twice and she did what i just said, he has yet to try again!, but my bc will not go any further any attack, but some dogs might.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Normal behaviour? Why does he do t? Should I be concerned or discourage it?
yes, perfectly normal behavior, however, i don't allow it from my dogs.....a mentioned above, some dogs don't like it and it can result in a fight.....it follows right in there w/ any other manners, IMO.....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mac, my year old terrier shihtzu, humps Josie, my two and a half month old border collie mutt, quite a bit when they are playing. He is fixed, she will be when she is old enough, nobody seems to have hurt feelings over it...is this okay? He doesn't get an erection and it usually only lasts a couple seconds before she knocks him off and they are chasing each other around again, also, I've never seen him to do this to an object or a person, only other dogs. Normal behaviour? Why does he do t? Should I be concerned or discourage it?
I think it's pretty normal but I would still discourage it because if he humps the wrong dog it can mean fights.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Humping can be a form of play, or because they're over stimulated, or just too hyper. It is considered rude doggy manners by most other dogs, and they will sometimes "warn" the humper by growling, nipping, knocking them off, etc. But, if the humper doesn't get the message, it can escalate to a fight.
So, it's a good idea to stop it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Try to be fairly gentle when you stop it....
1. You have to anticipate the dog and interrupt him, I cue mine to sit.
2. Once he starts to hump, you probably have to physically remove him, I push mine off, pushing his chest, rather than pulling him, then cue the sit.
3. It is possible to teach a male dog to get off another dog when he humping, but it takes a better technique than I have :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts