Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 7 and a half week old Siberian husky/Nothern Inuit cross puppy and she's been eating hills science plan before that the breeder had her on a crappy cheap store food for puppy's so we went into local pet chain petsathome and started her on hills. My question is is it any good and has it got her daily nutrients in it so she can grow big and healthy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive never used Hills Science plan, Id be interested to hear what your findings are, Is her coat healthy, shiny, bad breath? Curious to see how it does though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used it for almost 2 weeks now her coat is healthy and the food is designed to keep there teeth white and clean she doesn't have any weird smelling breath just hope it has enough protein in it for her development.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Depending on your budget, where you can shop, and what is available in your area; Acana, Dr. Tims, Merrick, Fromm, Farmina, Wellness, 4Health, Earthborn, Evangers, GO!... to name a few!

Of course all depends on how well your dog does on any given formula.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ireth0 I've looked it up I can order acana puppy large breed for just £2 more than the science plan. Is there enough carbs in the acana for my puppy to put in the weight she needs. I read reviews for the Orijen puppy food and because there wasn't any carbs in it this persons pup didn't put any weight on and she had a Doberman or something and it was outing weight on and it was getting skinner. So will this arcana be alright?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Individual dogs will have individual differences. I can say that based on ingredients, Acana is a higher quality food, however nobody can guarantee if it will work well for your particular dog or not until you try it.

I can say that my dog did not have issues with losing weight on the regular formula.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of carbs. It's healthier to bulk a dog up on something it would have eaten naturally than fillers. Also, it should be considered that it is possible the person writing that review owned an over weight dog who, upon starting a healthier diet, began to slim down and become more lean. Some people look at a healthy dog and think it is emaciated if you can faintly see ribs.

Orijen would be an excellent food to start out on. If it is in your price range, go for it. Because it's so rich you should just be careful that you aren't over feeding - it's easy to do. Also, do the switch over slowly over the course of 7-10 days, not all at once. If after a few bags she doesn't do well on it, you could always switch to Acana.

Always give a new food some time before you give up on it. Some loose/runny stools should be expected for a few weeks. You can feed pumpkin to counteract that side effect and firm up the stool. I usually give a food at least 2 months unless one of my dogs has a really bad reaction to it, though some recommend longer.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It's probably fine. The dog food industry is super confusing. Little transparency about ingredients. Inadequate testing. Lots and lots and lots of opinions . . . and advertisement. I avoid Science because as a scientist I find it pretentious that they use the Science as a brand name. But that's my personal prejudice and not relevant to anything. If your pup is doing well, do what works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts