Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hope someone can help us here, we are in desperate need of some...

We have an 8 month old puppy Rookie.
He is a wonderful dog with a great disposition except for a couple things.
First, he goes Potty all the time, I mean every 30 min. he will scratch at the door and want to go out. We have tried limiting his water but that dosent help. We took him to the vet and there were no signs of diabetes or bladder stones or any sign of a medical problem. On top of that, we crate him when we are gone and he can last for hours without and accident in his Crate. We have tried increasing the time between letting him out, but then he just goes in the house.
It is so bad that, and we do know he is a puppy, but 4 to 5 times a night he wakes us up and wants to go out.
needless to say for the past couple months we have not had a good night sleep.

Second, talking about lack of sleep, we are trying to stop him from jumping and playing late at night. He sleeps on the bed with us and if there is any movement, or any sound, he wakes up and starts playing and waking us up. we know he is young and some of this will be outgrown, however it seems like we are not gaining any ground on training.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I just want to know how we can resolve these behavior issues, especially since we are expecting a baby. We cant have him jumping on and bounding on my wife.

Please help....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would put his crate next to the bed and let him sleep inside it. He may whine the first night or two, but he'll get used to it when he realizes he isn't getting anywhere. Aidan's crate has a pillow, a chew toy or bully stick, and a soft toy in it at night. I put a few small dog treats in there at night.

Aidan has recently begun waking my son up to play in the middle of the night. Even when my son ignores him and pretends to sleep through his covers being removed, Aidan digging, and being whacked in the face with a soft toy, Aidan persists for about 1/2 an hour.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have talked about crating him at night, the problem is that we crate him durring the day when we are at work and dont feel like that is fair...We are just softys...also we ahve another dog who sleeps with us and dosent cause problems...how can we let his brother in the bed and not him...
lol...
We will prob try the crate at night and see how it works...

Now we just need to find out how to figure out the peeing situation...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts