Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started my 14 pound cockapoo on a raw diet on Wednesday ,May 13th. Sammy is around 1 year old. I started it out as an experiment to see if he would even take to it. He looked at me like I was crazy but eventually got hungry enough that day to eat 3 chicken necks. Then later in the evening I gave him about 1/4 cup of ground beef which he LOVES.
Yesterday he refused to eat any chicken so I did not give him the beef in the evening. Sammy is a very clever dog. If he knows that he is going to get something better later on, he will hold his breath till he is blue until he gets it. Needless to say, I always give in and lose when I see that he refuses to eat, but I really do not want to give up this time. He has been on several different diets and each time loses interest in them and I am just fed up.
Well last night he threw up, It was yellow liquid, kind of like bile. Is this part of the detox proccess? Or did he simply not feel good because he had an empty stomach? I know that he is super hungry because every time I open the fridge he stands by in anticipation, and when we had breakfast this morning he whined while we were eating. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I am hurting him even though I know I am not!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
The bile is because he has gone too long between meals. You could wait him out, if the chicken necks are your choice and he's not eating them right now. I would give it a day or two, but make sure he is drinking. I've had foster dogs go a few days without eating and no problem.

But before you chalk up all of this odd eating issue to a behavioral issue, has your dog been given a clean bill of health recently by a vet? If not, get a thorough exam first before trying new foods or a "wait it out" approach.

Three chicken necks and 1/4 cup of ground beef all in one day is a lot of food for a small dog. You may have shot yourself in the foot with that one as he would have been full for a long time after eating that. If your dog weighs 10-15 pounds he should be eating 5-7 ounces of food per day. And maybe read some of the stickies at the top of the food page to see how to start raw feeding and work into all of the proteins properly. Raw feeding is not all about throwing in the bowl whatever the dog likes and will eat. There is a progression of proteins starting with the easiest to digest and working up. Also, meat alone is not going to make complete meals and you must slowly introduce organs or your dog will be very vitamin deficient. Feeding ground beef without any calcium (bone) to balance the meal is going to cause problems over the long haul.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he has been to the vet and he is healthy. I did do alot of reading about this diet on this site and others on the web. I was going to eventually add organ meats to his diet. Should I stop giving him the beef for now. I ussually give him the necks really early in the morning, like around 6:30 A.M and then the beaf around 6:00-7:00, so I don't think he is still full. What kind of beef bones are safe for small dogs? I know that knuckle bones should not be given. Are meaty beef neck bones OK? I know you should stick to one type of protein in the beginning but this is how I started. His stools are normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so should I take him off of the beef now, wait two weeks, and then introduce him to beef and then in another two weeks add beef liver? Or can beef and beef liver go together rom the beginning? What about eggs? When can I incorporate eggs into his diet? Gee, I thought I had it all straight after reading so much info. He just ate some chicken necks so I think it's because he likes the beef too much, but since he was sooo hungry he couldn't wait any longer.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ok so should I take him off of the beef now, wait two weeks, and then introduce him to beef and then in another two weeks add beef liver? Or can beef and beef liver go together rom the beginning? What about eggs? When can I incorporate eggs into his diet? Gee, I thought I had it all straight after reading so much info. He just ate some chicken necks so I think it's because he likes the beef too much, but since he was sooo hungry he couldn't wait any longer.
Two weeks at a time for a new protein is my general guideline. During this two weeks, add a little more of the new protein every day until you're at about half and half with a known protein, and keep doing that until you have zero problems with stool or food refusal.

After that, I prefer to feed a single protein per meal, but many people mix within the meal, it's up to you.

Organs count as a separate protein, add them in slowly over two weeks as well.

You are in no rush to get everything in. Transitioning slowly so your dog can adjust is more important than making sure you have everything in your meal plan right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks Trumpetjock. That"s what my problem is. I am always sooo excited about something new that I have no patients, but I will do it gradually as you said. What kind of symptoms do dogs exibit when they are allergic to a certain protein?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
OK thanks Trumpetjock. That"s what my problem is. I am always sooo excited about something new that I have no patients, but I will do it gradually as you said. What kind of symptoms do dogs exibit when they are allergic to a certain protein?
Could be a variety of symptoms. The one's you will most likely see would be scratching at the eyes/skin more often than usual, or extremely loose stool. Rocky can handle any type of meat except for pork muscle meat. He's fine on ribs, organs anything, just straight muscle meat gives him the worst stool I've ever seen in my life. You'll probably run into things like that eventually, but most dogs do well on most everything raw.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I read horror stories of room clearing gas if a meat doesn't suit as well. I was thinking Max might not be okay with mackerel as one ear was gunky but that seems to have gone away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts