Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a yorkie puppy right now and she will be 7 months this week. She weighs 3.6 pounds.

Yours is very cute, but looks big.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yea he's 4 months old and 9 lbs so he is a big boy. That's one of the reasons I wonder if he's really even a Yorkie.

My family friend adopted him and his litter from a neighbor who's dog got knocked up (they had two not fixed dogs in the same house!) and was planning to basically shove them in a garbage bag and suffocate them to get rid of the "problem". Essentially he's a rescue, although he was lucky enough to be rescued by my friend along with his mother and father while he was only 3 weeks old! So I wouldn't be surprised if the breedings less than ideal.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Sikies are very rare in the United States (if thats where you live) and about 80% of those Silkies are owned by dog show people who don't give their puppies away like that.

that leaves about 20% of silkies that are owned by regular people and of those most are spayed and neutered because these people bought the dogs on a contract.

With the chance of this puppy being mixed with Silky, I'll bet my life savings that it's not.

It is a cute puppy. And there are Tons of poorly bred yorkies out there who are bigger than the breed standard calls for.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
He could be a very pet quality Yorkie, but it almost looks like there's another terrier in there, like a Mini Schnauzer or something.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Canada actually. I've seen a Silky before (friends had one, he wasn't a show dog just a pet) and this made me think Sam might be one just based on looks. There probably rare here as as well, since you don't see too many around.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thank you for rescuing him. He's in great hands now.;)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I see the coat is turning silver, which happens with Yorkies. If his coat was longer it would be easier to tell, but looks like a poorly bred purebred to me.

Yorkie's have a jet black coat on back .. And Silky has a silver blue on their backs

Anyways yours is SOOO cute :)
Um just he opposite, both start out black and the Yorkie turns silver while the Silky stays black. My mom had a couple of Yorkies and I have a friend that does Yorkie rescue.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/yorkshire_terrier/index.cfm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 10 month old Silky Terrier and he looked like a yorkie when I first got him but by about 6 or 7 months his coloring had started to change. He was mostly black with some brown around his face and ears when my husband brought him home to me but now he is silver all over except around his face which is lighter. He weighs about 6 lbs. and I hope he is as big as he will get. He resembles your pup especially in the pictures on page 2 of your facebook pics. I'm new to forum stuff but I'll try to post some pictures of Harley later. To answer your question, I think he is a Silky!!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I see the coat is turning silver, which happens with Yorkies. If his coat was longer it would be easier to tell, but looks like a poorly bred purebred to me.

Um just he opposite, both start out black and the Yorkie turns silver while the Silky stays black. My mom had a couple of Yorkies and I have a friend that does Yorkie rescue.
Are you sure? I went to a dog show and all the Silkies had silver-ish coats and the Yorkies were all a dark blue. This is what the Silkies looked like: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=1I7GGIT_en&sa=X&um=1&ei=WCltSoyPJJWKNt-4nMQD

Anyway, I determined that all the "Yorkies" I've known must be of terrible breeding, because I've never seen a pet Yorkie that looked like the dog show Yorkies. They were very small and had very cute baby doll faces, with their fur down to their feet. The dog show Silkies were larger, with more prominent muzzles, with shorter fur, and looked like the pet "Yorkies" I've known. So I'm guessing that poorly bred Yorkies look a lot like Silkies.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Get some pictures of the parents.

The breeder told them it was a yorkie, why you would assume it is something rarer I don't know. I'm sure if the breeders had bred Silkies they would have known it since it's not a very common breed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts