Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told he is a Toy Fox Terrier but his tail is NOT docked. What else could he be? Do you think he will get much bigger? He is 3 months old.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I was told he is a Toy Fox Terrier but his tail is NOT docked. What else could he be? Do you think he will get much bigger? He is 3 months old.

Hard to tell how big he is from that picture but just because his tail isn't docked doesn't mean he's not a TFT. There are lots of traditionally docked breeds who have undocked individuals for one reason or another.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong) TFTs are born with long tails. Most of them just get docked from a young age. So he could possibly be a full TFT and whoever owned the mom just didnt get him docked.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How big is he? Did you buy him from a breeder? Does he have papers?

Any dog can be undocked. It just means that the breeder didn't dock the puppies. It's not an indication of what breed the dog is or isn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is about 2-3 pounds at the moment.

I got him from a rescue organization, all they gave me were his shot papers.

He is pretty small, smaller than a cat.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
He seems a bit large for a TFT. Aren't they supposed to top out at 4 pounds? Maybe a Rat Terrier? Or JRT.

ETA: I looked up TFTs and I guess they can be up to 9 pounds. So maybe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you have any pictures of him standing? I have a couple friends that show TFTs, it's hard to tell from that picture. TFTs are born with long tails, so if he grew up in rescue, that could easily be why they didn't dock his tail. I personally prefer dogs without docked tails or cropped ears unless there's a MEDICAL reason, or it's a breed that the likely hood of a tail injury is high if the tail is not docked. I had a springer spaniel I was very glad came to me with a docked tail, she was very high energy, and her little stump was always wagging, she was just a silly happy girl, and I can guarantee if her tail had not been docked, I would have had to dock it from injuries! Even with her short tail she banged the end open a couple times on my coffee table - I can only imagine the damage she would have done to herself with a full tail! But alot of the time it's purely cosmetic, and if a rescue group gets a litter for some reason most rescues will not spend the money or the pain to the dogs to dock their tails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts