Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating getting another dog and am curious for everyone's opinion. My friend has two dogs and they play with each other and wear each other out a lot. It seems like it would help a lot with my dog since he has so much energy. I would also think that it may help with his need for attention constantly? He never wants to be without EVERYONE.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I love having multiple dogs. They seem to keep each other company. But try to go for opposite sex (nuetered/spayed) dogs or 2 neutered males. Females tend to fight more. It also seems to help if there are a few years age difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think its basically a gamble.. you never know how they will get along. Our two Bostons are so much happier having each other than they would be being alone. We also had two other Bostons together before these 2. We got a Boxer, who got along great with the Bostons until she turned about 2 (social maturity) and now is extremely dog aggressive. It makes life very stressful, but we had to adapt. She stays in the basement with a dog door out to a large fenced in yard during the day, and comes in the house at night while the Bostons are crated upstairs. They can not be in the same room together EVER (she grabbed the one by the neck and attacked her, and will do this around any other female dog). I moved out of the house (my parent's) and got a male Pit Bull... now I was forced to move back in temporarily so there are 4 dogs here. My Pit gets along with everyone, including the Boxer on walks always on leash. I'm debating when I move into my own house, hopefully in a few months (in the process of building) whether I should get another dog or not. It can be great.. or it can be a nightmare. I agree with above poster to get an opposite sex dog if you do decide to get another. Just be prepared to make adjustments if they don't end up being buddies!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It can really go either way. You can make dog compatibility one of your main criteria (in a case like this, you're better off with an adult than a puppy) but don't think another dog will make it easier. Two dogs is three times the effort. Get a second dog because you sincerely want one, because your dog isn't going to be the one buying the dog food.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I love having 2 dogs. I've been down to one dog when I had to have one PTS. And then it was usually only for a month or two. My last pair were both females and got along great. I now have a male and a female. When I added a 3rd dog a couple of yrs ago, it was a female and Roxxy did not get along with her. My family is complete with these 2 (plus 1 cat).

I feel like they do keep each other company when I'm at work (10 hrs a day). To me 2 dogs are not much more work than 1; it's when the 3rd one is added that the problems begin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of dog do you have? How old is he/she? How much exercise does he/she get?

Those are the first three questions that came to mind after your initial post :)
You saw him in my other post today lol. He is supposedly chesapeake bay retriever beagle mix. He is one and a half. He doesn't get as much exercise as he should. I try to walk him around the neighborhood once a day at least. Other than that he runs laps in the house lol. He's going to get a lot less when I go back to school. My dad won't walk him past the drive and my mom works.

·
Banned
693 Posts
You saw him in my other post today lol. He is supposedly chesapeake bay retriever beagle mix. He is one and a half. He doesn't get as much exercise as he should. I try to walk him around the neighborhood once a day at least. Other than that he runs laps in the house lol. He's going to get a lot less when I go back to school. My dad won't walk him past the drive and my mom works.
Ah yes, I remember. I think getting another older dog (at least a year old) and a female, may be good for him :) My dogs don't particularly get along, but my dad's dogs are very happy to have one another. They keep each other company and wear each other out a bit during the day. I think it would just depend on the dogs in question!

·
Registered
87 Posts
We had a single Jack Russell for like 13 years and one day my sister brought home another puppy. Brink (the 13 year old) hated the puppy and it was quite a mess there for a while. Then we rescued Bogart the one eyed chihuahua and he and Little Man (puppy) are inseperable. Brink died this February at 19 or so. But the two other guys are still bff. They'd be lost without each other.

As soon as we buy our house and get Otto trained up a bit more, we'll probably get another as well. :)

P.S. Dmickle1, your dog Loki is one of the prettiest dogs I've ever seen.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think having 2 underexercised dogs would be a lot worse than having one underexercised dog. . .

As for whether the dogs enjoy having other dogs in the home, this depends on the dogs. My dogs like each other OK but I don't think they'd mind being only dogs. They don't really play together or seem to be attached to each other or anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think having 2 underexercised dogs would be a lot worse than having one underexercised dog. . .

As for whether the dogs enjoy having other dogs in the home, this depends on the dogs. My dogs like each other OK but I don't think they'd mind being only dogs. They don't really play together or seem to be attached to each other or anything.
Yeah :/ the hope would be that they would play and then jake wouldn't have to run laps around the house.

·
Registered
348 Posts
First -- If you have two dogs, they aren't going to exercise each other as much as they need to be exercised. More than likely, if you get a second dog to exercise your first dog, you will probably end up with two hyperactive, underexercised dogs. You need to be able to commit to giving both dogs enough exercise in the form of some sort of cardio activity, preferably a walk. Walking two large dogs, especially when they're not stellar on leash, is really hard. Dogs get tangled, one dog wants to go off and sniff to your left while the other is interested in something on your right, etc. God help you if one of your dogs is leash reactive to anything. I don't know how good your dog is on leash, but training leash manners is imperative for multi-dog households. You may need to commit to walking each dog separately until they have better leash manners.

If you're getting a second dog for companionship, however -- something else for Jake to focus on instead of you when you're busy doing other things, that might not be a bad idea.

Second -- as has already been said, if you do decide to get another dog, DO get an adult dog. Do NOT get a puppy -- puppies are crapshoots. Your dog might be okay with the puppy until the puppy matures, and then your dog might want nothing to do with the puppy. My aunt has two yellow labs, and the older male really dislikes the female. There is no aggression, just massive avoidance -- if the female comes near him, the male just gets up and leaves.

If you do get another dog, go to your local shelter and take your dog with you. Most shelters won't allow you to adopt if you have a dog unless you bring that dog to meet the new arrival. The dogs should start to play with each other -- you want to avoid a dog that shows freezing, lip raising, growling, etc. Compare play styles and make sure one of the dogs isn't being "bullied" -- showing avoidance behaviors (looking away, yawning, etc) while the other dog continues to jump on it.

But again, you need to be willing to exercise both dogs as much as they need to be exercised. If the second dog has compatible energy to Jake, it will likely need a lot of exercise, too. I would start by giving Jake as much exercise as he needs and see if that helps with the lap-running before getting another dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First -- If you have two dogs, they aren't going to exercise each other as much as they need to be exercised. More than likely, if you get a second dog to exercise your first dog, you will probably end up with two hyperactive, underexercised dogs. You need to be able to commit to giving both dogs enough exercise in the form of some sort of cardio activity, preferably a walk. Walking two large dogs, especially when they're not stellar on leash, is really hard. Dogs get tangled, one dog wants to go off and sniff to your left while the other is interested in something on your right, etc. God help you if one of your dogs is leash reactive to anything. I don't know how good your dog is on leash, but training leash manners is imperative for multi-dog households. You may need to commit to walking each dog separately until they have better leash manners.

If you're getting a second dog for companionship, however -- something else for Jake to focus on instead of you when you're busy doing other things, that might not be a bad idea.

Second -- as has already been said, if you do decide to get another dog, DO get an adult dog. Do NOT get a puppy -- puppies are crapshoots. Your dog might be okay with the puppy until the puppy matures, and then your dog might want nothing to do with the puppy. My aunt has two yellow labs, and the older male really dislikes the female. There is no aggression, just massive avoidance -- if the female comes near him, the male just gets up and leaves.

If you do get another dog, go to your local shelter and take your dog with you. Most shelters won't allow you to adopt if you have a dog unless you bring that dog to meet the new arrival. The dogs should start to play with each other -- you want to avoid a dog that shows freezing, lip raising, growling, etc. Compare play styles and make sure one of the dogs isn't being "bullied" -- showing avoidance behaviors (looking away, yawning, etc) while the other dog continues to jump on it.

But again, you need to be willing to exercise both dogs as much as they need to be exercised. If the second dog has compatible energy to Jake, it will likely need a lot of exercise, too. I would start by giving Jake as much exercise as he needs and see if that helps with the lap-running before getting another dog.
Yeah definitely the unfortunate thing is that I won't be here to do the exercising I'm going to be back at school. The main thing would be companionship and hopefully that would lead to some playing. Still trying to convince my father to walk the dog around the neighborhood. They could both use the exercise.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Yeah definitely the unfortunate thing is that I won't be here to do the exercising I'm going to be back at school. The main thing would be companionship and hopefully that would lead to some playing. Still trying to convince my father to walk the dog around the neighborhood. They could both use the exercise.
What exactly does "back at school" mean? Are you not going to be living at home? Do you teach school? Are you a full-time student?

·
Registered
348 Posts
In this case, DO NOT get another dog. Since you'll be at school, you can't commit to giving both dogs the exercise, mental stimulation, and companionship they need -- only your father can. He should be the one to decide if another dog gets involved (and he probably shouldn't get one, if he's unwilling to take your dog for a walk. He would probably be unwilling to take the second dog for a walk, too.) You will definitely end up with two underexercised dogs.

My advice to you: Finish school, find a place where Jake can live with you, and create a routine for him that involves giving him the exercise and training/mental stimulation that he needs. Only then should you think about adding a second dog to your household.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think getting another dog would be a terrible idea. Im going to go out on a limb, since this dog is way under excersised and runs laps around the house. that he gets in to trouble doing so (making to much noise, crashing in to things, crashing in to people ect) 2 dogs will be double the issue. Dogs need proper excersise, I dont know any dog, not even m friends 13 year old chihuahua would be happy with a walk around the block. a few times a week.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My advice is to never get another dog for a dog you already have. Get another dog if you want another dog.

In your situation I think getting a second dog is a very bad idea. Your dog is already under exercised. When you go back to school it will get worse. Adding another dog won't solve the root problem which is not having enough time for the dog you already have. If you add another dog into the mix, they are going to establish their own hierarchy in your absence. This is what multiple dogs do when there is no clear leader present.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think it's great especially for the other dog :) - This is from personal experience, although every dog is different.

I have a 2.5 year old female West Highland Terrier who is spayed. We got a 2nd dog a few months ago, he is Maltese+Pomeranian cross. We got him VERY young at 5 weeks old, so he was trying to get to our Westies tit all the time. He is 4-5 months old now and he is REALLY well behaved. And I can tell you I've barely done anything besides a few things. Our westie has pretty much taught him how act nice around food, taught him not to bite or get over-excited and nip. He is really good with other dogs as well, mainly because our westie is REALLY rough with him so he isn't afraid of bigger dogs pushing him around or playing with them. He listens all the time. Best of all, the playfight everyday for hours, our older dog LOVES having the new dog around.

Considering we got the new dog REALLY young @ 5 weeks old he has done amazingly well, and I have our oldest dog to thank for it (by the way he was from a accident litter family friend, so we didn't pay a cent for him, they just wanted to find homes asap) The stuff he messed out from leaving mum so early was easily made up for with our westie, she has put him in his place any time he has been misbehaving. We've had zero issues with him, ZERO typical puppy behavior issues that the majority of dog owners get with pups, it's been a breeze. He just loves our westie as well, he thinks shes his mum lol.

BTW - I walk them separately for safety reasons. Much easier to deal with stray dogs if Im only walking 1 dog at a time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts