Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I apologize for posting what I am sure sounds like a dumb question to many of you, but a search revealed nothing exactly relating to this and google offered many conflicting answers.

Here's my question - do I need to keep Hobbes on flea/tick prevention year round? I live in Albany, NY, and we do tend to go outdoors and play in the woods pretty frequently. I mean, not so much in the winter, probably...but still. Hobbes is a 60 pound mutt if that's relevant (lab, shepherd, pit, probably 100 other breeds). We currently have him on Advantix II, which I realize of course is basically poison, so I'd like to give his body a break from it if possible over the winter. But if it means putting him at risk for diseases from ticks, then that's not a good tradeoff.

How do all of you manage this? Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
529 Posts
We stop using Advantix II once winter settles in. And in Wisconsin that's like 5 months of the year lol. Basically wait until the ground is frosted over to be safe. Ticks are still quite active even in cold fall weather.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It depends on who you ask. Here in NH, the Vet will tell you to use it year round. I don't feel thats necessary, and like you, prefer not to put large amounts of chemicals on my dogs if I can help it. Ticks are really bad in this area though, so I usually wait until it really is good and cold and the little ***** are dead.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies! @+two, I was wondering, how do you know when the little ****s are dead? Do you think it's best to wait until there's frost on the ground, as in Herders' case?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I wait until there is a solid freeze every night for "awhile" - I don't have it timed out to a specific number of freezing days but plenty of them. I also start reapplying when it stops freezing consistently. I live in an area with plenty of parasites, parasite carried diseases and other nasty buggers. I also live in Texas so - pretty close to the entire year they have to have preventatives.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well technically they don't really die in the winter. They borrow and "hibernate" during the cold season. Which is why Charis' advice is good because they can reappear if things warm up for a few days. When things are frozen over good they aren't going to emerge until things thaw up.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
True... they don't die in winter. My mistake for using the wrong language.

I do the same as Herders and Charis . . . wait until the ground is frozen and the temperature dips below freezing for multiple days. Reapply when it warms up.

Though, we don't really get our first ticks until April or sometimes May. They are already disappearing, which makes me very happy. But both Boys will be on preventative for the next couple months.

Are there any studies that show survival rates for ticks? We know that heartworm is not an issue in very cold climates or during the winters in northern areas because the larvae die if not incubated properly. Is there a similar knowledge about ticks?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Depends on the area. Jackson got Lymes in January and I found four ticks on him in December of last year. So here, in Maryland, it's necessary unfortunately. However sometimes I spread them out and won't give it EVERY 30 days... but more like every 45 days. In the winter, I don't put it on as much. But I'll give him a dosage, for example, in November and then usually not one again until January depending on if I'm seeing ticks, etc. Like, now, he hasn't had flea/tick meds put on for probably over 45 days and I check him every night and haven't found any. But that's mainly because I was lazy and forget to order more so I JUST placed an order last night for 6 months supply lol.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True... they don't die in winter. My mistake for using the wrong language.

I do the same as Herders and Charis . . . wait until the ground is frozen and the temperature dips below freezing for multiple days. Reapply when it warms up.

Though, we don't really get our first ticks until April or sometimes May. They are already disappearing, which makes me very happy. But both Boys will be on preventative for the next couple months.

Are there any studies that show survival rates for ticks? We know that heartworm is not an issue in very cold climates or during the winters in northern areas because the larvae die if not incubated properly. Is there a similar knowledge about ticks?
That's interesting - I didn't know Heartworm wasn't an issue in cold climates either - I'll check with my vet about that. Also I have no idea how to tell when ticks start becoming active besides just checking my body and the dog for them. I've never seen one on either of us before. However I can certainly just do as you all suggest, taking him off when the ground is frozen - in NY this would mean something like Dec - Mar but we'll see how it goes this year.

Depends on the area. Jackson got Lymes in January and I found four ticks on him in December of last year. So here, in Maryland, it's necessary unfortunately. However sometimes I spread them out and won't give it EVERY 30 days... but more like every 45 days. In the winter, I don't put it on as much. But I'll give him a dosage, for example, in November and then usually not one again until January depending on if I'm seeing ticks, etc. Like, now, he hasn't had flea/tick meds put on for probably over 45 days and I check him every night and haven't found any. But that's mainly because I was lazy and forget to order more so I JUST placed an order last night for 6 months supply lol.
THis is an interesting idea too. Spreading it out might be just the thing, instead of taking him off entirely. I guess I have to think on it!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
As Jacksons mom said, it depends on the area. It also really depends on the Vet for what they would 'recommend'. I think it also depends on lifestyle; if you are planning on doing a lot of snowshoeing through the woods in the winter, it may still be worth using preventative. If your dog doesn't know what brush, deers or forest look like, then I'd say you are probably okay. I also like Jacksons moms idea of spreading it out... though I'd like to know more about how preventative actually works and if this method makes sense. *rubs imaginery beard*

There was a thread awhile back about HW prevention areas of the world. I thought it was pretty interesting how many people don't have to use HW meds. http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/100512-where-heart-worm-free.html

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As Jacksons mom said, it depends on the area. It also really depends on the Vet for what they would 'recommend'. I think it also depends on lifestyle; if you are planning on doing a lot of snowshoeing through the woods in the winter, it may still be worth using preventative. If your dog doesn't know what brush, deers or forest look like, then I'd say you are probably okay. I also like Jacksons moms idea of spreading it out... though I'd like to know more about how preventative actually works and if this method makes sense. *rubs imaginery beard*

There was a thread awhile back about HW prevention areas of the world. I thought it was pretty interesting how many people don't have to use HW meds. http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/100512-where-heart-worm-free.html
Interesting thread - I don't know how I missed it! As for whether we're snowshoeing every day of if Hobbes doesn't know what brush or forest look like, we're in the middle. When winter comes, it'll be closer to the latter, I think. I am from Florida and NY winters really aren't my thing lol. I often lament that it's too bad that all the hiking and swimming and running HObbes gets to do now can't be saved up in an "exercise account" and then just spend it throughout the year so we don't have to leave the house when it's so cold!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I also thought I didn't need to use it all year round and stopped it in the winter. Then, we went skiing at the end of December in upstate NY, where the back woods were literally frozen in a 6 inch layer of ice.

Came back after a week, found 2 engorged deer ticks on Soro. Did blood tests, found he had lyme disease. No symptoms were shown, so thankfully we saw those ticks and took him to the vets. It's now maybe 3 years later and this lameness issue that I've posted multiple threads about... Our vet thinks it *could* still be lyme disease from that incident long ago.

I agree that it depends on your area and what your vet advises, but Soro gets heartworm, tick, flea etc. medication all year round.
Plus, this is sort of related but I believe there are some studies that show how parasitic insects and other arthropods are able to expand their ranges northward, and stay active longer due to the warmer winters.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Hey +2, you're in NH too; I'm curious what you do for heartworm. I give it every 40 days from October til May, per my holistic vet. The WDJ had an article on heartworm and when I talked to them about it, they said that I'm still fine to do what we've been doing, not the monthly year round that the WDJ recommends (for some parts of the country)

Hey +2, you're in NH too; I'm curious what you do for heartworm. I give it every 40 days from October til May, per my holistic vet. The WDJ had an article on heartworm and when I talked to them about it, they said that I'm still fine to do what we've been doing, not the monthly year round that the WDJ recommends (for some parts of the country)
from May til October, not other way around!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

from May til October, not other way around!
Ozzie and Tyler grew up in Colorado for the first 2 or so years of their life. They got it year round because we were doing a lot of traveling. Now that we have settled in NH, they get heart worm meds April-Oct. How come you do every 40 days instead of the 'standard' 30?

Tyler has lyme disease, as did my first dog, Tucker. I am not sure, but does anyone know if I should still give him preventative? I am not concerned about fleas, as they have never been a problem in my area.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
It really really depends on location. I think in NY most vets recommend it either year round or sometimes in the summer months only.

Here in Vancouver, Canada, heart worm and flea medication isn't recommended at all anytime during the year unless you plan to travel with your dog to HW infested areas.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I will use Frontline plus until we have a hard freeze , usually through December and start back the last of march or April for sure. This tear ticks have been bad so I will not take any chances.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Ozzie and Tyler grew up in Colorado for the first 2 or so years of their life. They got it year round because we were doing a lot of traveling. Now that we have settled in NH, they get heart worm meds April-Oct. How come you do every 40 days instead of the 'standard' 30?

Tyler has lyme disease, as did my first dog, Tucker. I am not sure, but does anyone know if I should still give him preventative? I am not concerned about fleas, as they have never been a problem in my area.
I had read a few years back that it's good for 45 days but they tell you every 30, so you'll be sure to give it. I'm anal and never miss a dose so I do every 40. My holistic vet said to do it this way too. She doesn't tell everyone to, it depends if you're someone who forgets easily. I'm not LOL

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also thought I didn't need to use it all year round and stopped it in the winter. Then, we went skiing at the end of December in upstate NY, where the back woods were literally frozen in a 6 inch layer of ice.

Came back after a week, found 2 engorged deer ticks on Soro. Did blood tests, found he had lyme disease. No symptoms were shown, so thankfully we saw those ticks and took him to the vets. It's now maybe 3 years later and this lameness issue that I've posted multiple threads about... Our vet thinks it *could* still be lyme disease from that incident long ago.

I agree that it depends on your area and what your vet advises, but Soro gets heartworm, tick, flea etc. medication all year round.
Plus, this is sort of related but I believe there are some studies that show how parasitic insects and other arthropods are able to expand their ranges northward, and stay active longer due to the warmer winters.
Well this gives me pause, especially since I live in what many people consider "upstate NY" (really it's central, but I think some people consider everything except NYC "upstate"). Maybe it's safer to just leave it on him. Now I'm more confused than ever!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts