Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase some food for my husky tomorrow and was wondering how much people who feed Raw spend on a monthly basis?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't keep track.I am feeding 4 Rottweilers raw.
If I had a place to process bulk food it would be alot cheeper then what I am spending now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
and knowing when chicken goes on sale...

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i pay about $130 for 2 months of food for my 50 lb samoyed. but, i don't have access to sales like you get in the states. i get my food from a local raw dog food company. the cheapest i can get is 1.49/lb chicken backs, everything else is between 1.49 and 1.99/lb

·
Registered
73 Posts
I guess I should be happy with 49 cents a lb for chicken quarters.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
On a full feed rotation, just buying straight from the grocery store and sam's club, I average about a dollar a day, maybe a little over. For a comparison, a bag of wellness core (by no means the most expensive dog food out there) would have to last me 2 months to compare in price. It doesn't.

I have the luxury of having one dog on raw and one not, who both eat identical amounts. The one eating wellness is alot more expensive.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I just packed 38 meals for my 38 pound dog who doesn't get to eat much. $24 and I bought too much, 4.5 pounds of stuff sitting waiting for next month. The bone part was basically free, I used the wings, backs and rib cages from whole chickens I bought for the humans last month. I shop sales for the meat and bony meat. A couple weeks ago I figured per calorie raw was equivalent to premium kibble in price. Sure I am not adding in the shopping and time but so far it has been a lot of fun doing all this stuff. Storage is an issue. Max's food fits in my regular top freezer shelf but a larger or more active dog would need more room or more frequent shopping. So far the deals at the regular or ethnic markets have been often enough that stocking up wouldn't have saved a whole lot of money. I would like freezer room so I could buy cases of stuff that isn't at the market like green tripe and other organs.

Trumpetjock, I figured Wellness and was shocked at how much it cost compared to raw.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I try to stick around $1 per pound of food. Some stuff is a bit more, some stuff is a bit less. I'm currently waiting for chickens to go on sale. But I recently scored some beef for 99 cents per pound. And I'm also trying to convince my neighbors with hunting tags to save me some stuff, even the stuff they would throw away like organs. That could really bring my costs down.

And the secret truly is to find a free freezer on craigslist or such so you have a place to stock up when a good deal comes along.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I average about $45 per dog per month. Mine are all large to XXlg dogs so I think it's a pretty good deal.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts