Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old dachshund/chihuahua mix. Usually during the week I feed him at 5:30 am, and again at 5 pm. However, on the weekends, my schedule is more flexible, and I don't always wake up at the same time.

Should I be feeding him at the same time, or is it alright if I feed him at different times? Is it really that important to feed him on a regular time schedule, as long as he does get fed, and I make sure he has a bowel movement afterward? Will it change anything with my efforts for house training?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well the better schedule he eats with, the better schedule his dumping etc. That being said, an hour here or there won't hurt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I feed him at 5:30 on the weekdays, so I'm talking about, on the weekends, because I'm not getting up for school, I'd like to feed him later so I can just take him out and then go back to sleep without having to worry about him going in his crate. Would feeding him at 9 am-ish or something be too much of a stretch? Or does it really not matter?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I used to have my dogs on a strict feeding schedule... but if I deviated from that schedule AT ALL, they would throw up bile from an upset/empty stomach... I've been switching up the times now for a few years, and I hardly ever have that problem anymore. But that's just me. I don't think you have to feed them at exactly the same time each day... a little variation might even be better for them.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've never fed my pups on a schedule and I don't think that they're suffering because of it.
I've also never dealt with fits over not getting fed "on time" and I"ve never had them staring at the food bowl sadly.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I don't feed on any specific schedule. Just sometime soon after I wake up (whenever that happens to be on a given day) and sometime in the evening. As long as you remember when you fed him I don't see how it would dramatically impact house training.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also don't feed on a schedule, although they said you should. I just don't know how people can keep to a schedule especially when training and treats are involved. Usually my pup has no interest in eating her entire meal if she's filled on treats...then she'd eat a bit afterwards and by then of course the entire schedule is messed up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I feed on a schedule to a point, mine eat morning and evening, but i change the times randomly so that if we ever need to be out longer somewhere ect it does not effect them really bad :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do feed on a schedule. Not super strict, but she's always fed within 30-45 minutes of the usual time. I never have issues if I'm a little late, she doesn't whine or stare at her dish. On days I'd like to sleep in, I get up with her, we go outside, I feed her, then we go back to bed. She'll sleep soundly for another hour or two.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I feed on a schedule (noon and 8pm) because it makes it easier to remember if I fed them or not! Sometimes if I forget a meal, Casper will whine and stare at me, but sometimes he won't say anything. I'm sure that if I fed at random times I'd completely forget some meals!

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
I have a hound and a lab. If they don't eat within 3-1/2 minutes of the scheduled time, we'd have a mutiny. There would be looting, pillaging and plundering. Maybe worse.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I feed between 6-7 am and pm during the week. Weekends they may not get breakfast til between 8-9 and I will push dinner closer to 7pm. Luke is too shy to demand anything. Zoey on the other hand...time will tell.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had loki on a schedule for potty training ... but it was never strict ... I enjoy my sleep far to much to keep up the early morning feeding. The pup will be fine. So long as he gets fed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I make a point not to feed exactly the same times each day. When I was really strict about Buster eating at specific times he'd vomit bile if I was late. Vary his meal times and Im not cleaning up bile barf because something came up and Im 20 minutes late on a feeding.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I have a friend who feeds on an extremely strict schedule because the dog has seizures otherwise.

I'm with RonE - Kit eats out of a ball that dispenses kibble as she rolls it around. If I'm late (or even if she thinks I'm late) she begins to toss the ball at me. She particularly likes to drop it on my bare feet, and it's heavy. If the ball is in a different room and she can't access it, she will climb into my lap and start licking me, whining, and sitting on my laptop. On nights when we have activities (agility class or nosework), I often feed at least half her dinner ahead of schedule so that she's not starving. They say to bring a hungry dog, but they always seem to change their minds when they meet Kit.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly eats when i fed her, she is not one of those dogs who lets you now when it is time to eat, although at tea time she knows she will get her tea after i have eaten mine, she does ask for fuss then, i do not always go get her's straight after, just so she learns that sometimes she has to wait.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I kept the feeding schedule as timely as possible for the early puppy stages so as to be able to housebreak
and have less accidents in the house.
Eventually I was able to leave a bowl of kibble out 24/7 for her to snack on during the day.
(she barely touches it now...)
At 1 year old , she now gets 1 meal a day..and its basically the same food that Im having for dinner...with kibble added.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I've never fed on a strict schedule, they eat about an hour after I wake up. Sorry but this mom needs her first cup of coffee while watching whatever I taped the night before. After my coffee, they eat. Second meal of the day comes around 4pm, no matter what time they ate in the morning

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I'm with RonE - Kit eats out of a ball that dispenses kibble as she rolls it around. If I'm late (or even if she thinks I'm late) she begins to toss the ball at me. She particularly likes to drop it on my bare feet, and it's heavy. If the ball is in a different room and she can't access it, she will climb into my lap and start licking me, whining, and sitting on my laptop. On nights when we have activities (agility class or nosework), I often feed at least half her dinner ahead of schedule so that she's not starving. They say to bring a hungry dog, but they always seem to change their minds when they meet Kit.
Pretty much this including nights with classes. Jubel gets his breakfast right about 7am on weekdays and I get up close to that on the weekends too, let him out to potty, give him breakfast, and head back to bed for about 2 hours. He'll scarf down his food and run up and hop back in bed with me. Evening meals are fed from a dispensing toy 98% of the time and have a much looser timing based on the clock and more on when I get home from work. Dinner is simply after I've gotten home, gone for our walk, played and/or trained, short rest if he's panting, and then it's dinner time. That could fall between 5:30 and 7pm depending on the day but once any playing/training is done he's ready to eat and will be quite vocal until he gets to eat.

If we have a class in the evening that starts later than 6:30pm I'm going to have to deal with a very unhappy dog (melodramatic protests that he's starving) or I'll feed him 1/4-1/2 his dinner just to shut him up until it's time to go. Then I'll usually start the class using his kibble as rewards rather than treats, unless someone near us has something REALLY smelly and tasty he's happy to work for kibble.

Never had any stomach issues for eating off schedule though, just whining.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts