Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want her to grow up big and strong and very athletic

Does the quality of the food really make a big difference?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
She'll grow as big as her genetics dictate. If her parents, grandparents, and other relatives are all larger, then the odds of her being larger are good. My APBT is about 19" at the withers, and weighs about 35 pounds. She is very lean, and not very "bully" type, but she is solid.

The best food is one they do well on, like to eat, and that you can afford to feed. Price does not always indicate quality, though. There are many foods that are more expensive than they are worth, based on my experience with them. I've also seen dogs do well on foods that I would consider only as a last resort, based on the ingredients. I'm currently feeding my girls Purina Pro Plan, and have been happy with both how they are doing and the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She'll grow as big as her genetics dictate. If her parents, grandparents, and other relatives are all larger, then the odds of her being larger are good. My APBT is about 19" at the withers, and weighs about 35 pounds. She is very lean, and not very "bully" type, but she is solid.

The best food is one they do well on, like to eat, and that you can afford to feed. Price does not always indicate quality, though. There are many foods that are more expensive than they are worth, based on my experience with them. I've also seen dogs do well on foods that I would consider only as a last resort, based on the ingredients. I'm currently feeding my girls Purina Pro Plan, and have been happy with both how they are doing and the price.
I'm looking online at this bully max high performance food. Claims it's great to help pitbulls develop and gets great reviews

I'm ok paying extra money as long as it actually helps

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
From the ingredients, it looks like a decent food. The price, on the other hand.... yikes. A 33 pound bag of Pro Plan Sport has similar ingredients, and costs about $30 less than a 30 pound bag of Bully Max.

Food alone won't build muscle on a dog. It also takes exercise and conditioning. A lot of the heavily muscled pit bull type dogs you see spend a lot of time on heavy chains, pulling weights, and wearing weighted vests. They are also kept too lean for my taste in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the ingredients, it looks like a decent food. The price, on the other hand.... yikes. A 33 pound bag of Pro Plan Sport has similar ingredients, and costs about $30 less than a 30 pound bag of Bully Max.

Food alone won't build muscle on a dog. It also takes exercise and conditioning. A lot of the heavily muscled pit bull type dogs you see spend a lot of time on heavy chains, pulling weights, and wearing weighted vests. They are also kept too lean for my taste in a lot of cases.

keep in mind the bully max is very heavy in calories. You can probably feed the dog half of other dog foods for the same result.

Do you think my dog will be in better health and shape eating that food over cheap grocery store stuff?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My 35 pound pittie gets 3/4 cup twice a day and my 55 pound GSD gets 1 cup twice a day of the Pro Plan, which is less than the recommended amount. The Bully Max formula I looked at recommended that much, but claims it's got roughly 100 calories per cup more than the Pro Plan.

Remember what I said about the best food? I've fed food that cost nearly as much as the Bully Max, because they were highly recommended. None of my dogs did well on them. In fact, I wound up with a vet bill after one dog developed acute pancreatitis. Another dog looked like a walking snowstorm, she had so much dandruff. I've fed Dog Chow and Pedigree , and had dogs do fine on it.

If you have a hard keeper, or a dog that does an extreme amount of exercise, then yeah, they will need a ton of calories. Most pet dogs won't need such a calorie dense food, and entirely too many are overweight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 35 pound pittie gets 3/4 cup twice a day and my 55 pound GSD gets 1 cup twice a day of the Pro Plan, which is less than the recommended amount. The Bully Max formula I looked at recommended that much, but claims it's got roughly 100 calories per cup more than the Pro Plan.

Remember what I said about the best food? I've fed food that cost nearly as much as the Bully Max, because they were highly recommended. None of my dogs did well on them. In fact, I wound up with a vet bill after one dog developed acute pancreatitis. Another dog looked like a walking snowstorm, she had so much dandruff. I've fed Dog Chow and Pedigree , and had dogs do fine on it.

If you have a hard keeper, or a dog that does an extreme amount of exercise, then yeah, they will need a ton of calories. Most pet dogs won't need such a calorie dense food, and entirely too many are overweight.
I've been feeding my pup cheap grocery store stuff for 2 weeks and she seems to be doing great

I just don't want to damage her

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
They make a variety of formulas. For my 8 year old GSD and 6 year old APBT, I typically feed the Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice formula, but had to get the Sport All Life Stage Active formula the last time, due to availability. I get my dry dog food (as well as most of my other pest supplies) delivered from Chewy. Purina Pro Plan Dog Food: Wet & Dry Dog Food | Chewy

·
Registered
552 Posts
What do you consider expensive?

I feed Blue Carnovia to my dog. I buy in the 22 lb bag from Chewy. I have a small dog, a bag of food will last about 90 days. My cost averages about $1.00/day.

When I was working out of country, I was feeding raw. Cost was about $1.00/day feeding a mix of chicken breast and some veggies.

Read the ingredient list on your store brand food. The first 5 ingredients should be meat based. If you see a list of grains in the first 5, then I'd recommend a shift to another brand.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Bear in mind that you actually don't want your puppy to grow too big, too fast, or gain too much weight, too quickly: My Puppy Is Growing Too Fast – Dog Health Information – Banfield Pet Hospital® It can cause real problems for the dog. You want to grow at a steady natural pace. Pup should never go hungry or be deprived of nutrients but shouldn't be overfed overly rich food, either. A puppy on a healthy reasonable diet will grow to his or her full size allowed by genetics in due time. Feeding appropriate portions of an appropriate puppy food is the safest way to go.

Honestly, I used to go in for higher end kibbles, but with the whole DCM scare, I switched to Purina Pro Plan for both my puppy and my senior dog (appropriate formulas for their life stages and sizes) and they're both doing as well or better on that than they did on boutique anything. Healthy coats and skin, good digestion, no weird reactions like itchy ears. Given that they're a large dog and a giant dog I sure don't mind the lower cost, either. (If I run out before I'm able to get a new bag - I live in the boonies so I only can restock when I go into Fairbanks to the feed store or get a mail delivery - I pick up Purina One from the local grocery store and that seems fine too.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts