Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about getting into training on a professional level. As I understand it, You must have 300 hours of training experience in the past three years and also pass the 180 question test. Must you obtain these 300 hours through an apprenticeship or through a training school? The 300 hours is daunting considering my other responsibilities. At this point I am a training enthusiast. I have a subscription to Tawzer dog and have been reading about behavior and watching seminars in order to help my own dog. I've been obsessive about training my dog and studying behavior for the past three years. As I accumulate this knowledge and skill set I feel that I could be of service to others.

A lot of this notion is born out of a horrible experience with a compulsion praise trainer. I'm astounded that this woman is functioning as a recommended trainer in my area while using tools and techniques that would be illegal in other places. Paying to have my dog abused like that really lit a fire inside of me and drove me to study and understand my dog.

Could anyone share their experience in obtaining a CPDT certification and the career that followed? Am I being naive and headed toward a miserable end?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you handle the ugliness of animal treatment? I live in a low income area of Cincinnati and our SPCA is overburdened with animals. I'm not sure I could stomach the realities of societal and systemic problems concerning animal welfare. The description of your work is honorable but sounds quite overwhelming. Have you become desensitized or developed a philosophy for confronting these issues?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly what I meant by ugliness. I live in an area where that sort of thing is commonplace. Thanks for your advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts