Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Northern California, in an area severely impacted by recent fires. My pup is incredibly picky eater anyway and grain free, but this last week is worse that ever. I think the smoke is messing with her (I don't feel too good myself) and there's a lot of ash in the air and on the ground where she walks. The stress of evacuation can't be helping. She's barely touching her food.

My question is, will she be ok on just chicken and rice for a week or so? It's the one meal she usually loves, and I'm thinking of whipping up a big batch to try to get her to eat. I don't have a lot of time/money/bandwidth to get in special supplements right now, and she doesn't like any veggie that I've tried. Still, I'll do my best if you have any tips.

Will she be ok nutritionally for a week or so? I have a vet appointment next week for something else but they couldn't get me in any sooner. I've also got a phone call in to them for advice, but many people are evacuated or have lost everything, so the vet office is understaffed along with everything else. I don't know that I'll get a call back any time soon.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Assuming she doesn't have any other real health problem, for a week or so, she should be okay. Most nutritional deficiencies take a while to cause problems.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Agree, that's fine. If you want to go further you could add calcium but the main thing is to keep her system on a more or less even keel rather than be concerned about micro nutrients. Powdered eggshell at 1/2 tsp per 40 pounds of dog per day is about right and easy to do if you decide to add it, add the egg as well if she likes it. Mix into a single meal in case she decides it tastes too strange to eat.

Stay inside and don't move around too much. I get so sick if it's smoky outside. I'm 100 miles away from that last Anaheim Hills fire and my lungs noticed the difference in air quality!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. She ate a good portion of rice and canned food tonight, and I can't speak directly for her, but it made me feel so much better!

I think I'll just focus on getting food in her for the next little while, whatever it is I can get her to eat.

She's only 16 pounds and already on the thin side. She's also about 18 months old and not excited about this new mostly indoors lifestyle we're living right now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also remembered that I have half a roll of Red Barn Beef food in my fridge, and it turns out she still loves that. Mixing it with rice is making me feel that she's actually getting most of the nutrients she needs.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sounds good.

Maybe save the Red Barn for treats? Cut into bits and use for training treats so she gets to exercise her brain since it's out of the question to do anything that makes either of you need to breath harder.

My brother is in Saratoga and says the smoke is awful there. Wow, he's 100 miles away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts